Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Looking for advice on antelope and deer rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Bronze Member
Re: Looking for advice on antelope and deer rifle

Looks like it will be the custom route then. For all of the calibers mentioned, 6.5-284 seems to come out on top. I will do more research on Smiths, but Hart has a good reputation and the price doesn't seem too bad. I have two HS Precision stocks, I'd consider them too, unless I hear of a better stock (so long price is in reason).

ronin: My .270 is an early 700 stainless synthetic mountain rifle. I have never seen it in a catalog. The barrel is very thin, the stock is a cheap injected molded one that I free floated and bedded. The trigger was 4.5 lbs until I came back from Wyoming, now it is down to 2lbs 10-12 oz. This rifle really shoots. It is an honest 3/4" gun with Sierra 130 gr BTSP by Federal. I have never even loaded for this rifle because this stuff shoots so good. Although I live in Mass, most of my gun hunting has been for whitetail in the east. This set up is great for 30-140 yd deer, but it was a whole different story in the high desert.

Derek: Thanks for the offer on brass. I'd like to pick a smith and get this project under way first.

Thanks for all the help gentlemen. Any preferred or recommended gunsmiths around? I don't want to go crazy, I would like a good barrel put on the 700 and have the receiver trued and lugs lapped. Stock, bedding, and trigger I am comfortable with.

Thanks again.

Unread 10-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

I don't know about the guys on this forum in terms of the 6.5x284, but Dave Bruno in PA built mine. Let me know if you want his contact info. Do a search, I just posted it this week on another thread somewhere.
Derek M.
Unread 10-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by EFR View Post
Any preferred or recommended gunsmiths around?
Check out Jim See at Center Shot Rifles. He built my custom rifle last year and I am still 100% satisfied with it. He'll build my next custom rifle as well.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM