Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Longest shot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2006, 09:20 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Longest shot

That's not why. This guy has only been around a short while. He wasn't the one who ran them off. For some reason I don't think they would feel threatned by him, though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 03-27-2006, 10:24 AM
Silver Member

what range finder do you use on a rockchuck at 2000 yds. ???
Old 03-27-2006, 10:40 AM
SPONSOR

We have been using a Wild optical rangefinder, same one GG and UncleB use for their 2k plus varmint shooting. It is a interesting looking peice of equipment, looks kinda like a old rocket launcher or potato gun or something

Works really good once you figure it out.

steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 03-27-2006, 10:42 AM
SPONSOR

Chawlston,

dont let that guy blow your skirt up, for some reason he seems to like punching peoples buttons.

take it easy
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 03-27-2006, 10:57 PM

This last season I was fortunate enough to be able to shoot a nice 4x5 mule deer at a ranged 420Yds. I knew that my old .303#4Mk1 w/174grRN wouldn't be able to make the shot, so I borrowed my hunting partners 30-06 w/165grSP's and made an awesome first shot, but up here when we have no snow to track with we(our group) hits it till it drops. I guess that's why I bought a .300WM so I can shoot alittle farther. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Platinum Member

Bart,

Ok, now you're saying that what Daryl Cassel did was nothing special? I'm sorry, but Daryl has forgotten more about how to kill things at long range than most people will ever learn. <font color="blue">Why is it that people who have never even attempted to shoot that far know everything about it!? </font> I hate to tell you, but hitting something at 600 yards or even 1000 yards doesn't even get into the same league of difficulty as a 2000 plus yard shot.

What Daryl did was absolutely amazing whether it was on the first shot or the 21st shot in my opinion.

Talking it down like an everyday occurence only shows that you have obviously never done it!

As someone who has done it, I can assure you that it is much harder than you make it sound like. Maybe you would like to come out to Utah here and we can let you try to hit the gong at 2k. But if you don't do it on the first shot, I won't be any less dazzled.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:53 PM

Hello All
It's been a long time since I posted anything here. I don't want to upset Lens breakfast, lunch or dinner but, I must respond to this fellow Bart B because he apparently doesn't know how to run his ballistics program and also has some wrong information.

First of all Bart B.
I'll go over this one time for you since you have a problem with a 2100 yard shot into an elk in your own State. It's not that hard when you have the correct equipment and the elements cooporate with you.

The rifle I have is a 67 lb monster on a return to battery bench mounted system.
The rifle I used for this shot was a 338/416 Rigby Imp.
The load I used was 122.5 Grs of WC872, a Fedaral 215 primer and a 300 Gr Match King bullet traveling out the end of the 37" barrel at 3310 FPS. I don't care if you believe that or not but, Oehler don't seem to lie. I also had a 100 yard zero to start with.
We were at 7500 Feet elevation and the temp was at 35 degrees.
It was not killed on the first shot as we always take one or two spotter shots to adjust for the wind.

If you check the BC of the 300 Gr MK you will find it is right at .787 as per actual fire.
That shot took 212 1/4 Min clicks to connect with the elk and it penitrated one shoulder completly after going in and through the elk on the opposite side.

Now run your numbers and you will find that the bullet was still traveling at 1582 Fps and had 1626 Foot Pounds of energy when it hit that elk. It dropped in it's tracks and slid about 50 yards in the snow.

Since you don't seem to believe what we did (I always say we as it's a team accomplishment)or the velocity we maintained, you will have to argue that with Oehler ballistics or Bruce Bear who built my rifle many years ago.

My 2100 yard kill was beat by a friend of mine two years afterward and he was using the same cartridge and bullet I use.
His kill was also in Colorado and he killed his elk at 2890 Yards with 4 witnesses from the Williamsport 1000 yard range and they had two military Russian lasers set up to know the range exactly. I used a Barr and Stroud with my 2100 yard kill. I now have had a Russian laser and got it a few years ago. They (military lasers) are extremely accurate at ranges much further then we can shoot.

Sorry to post here Len but I just couldn't stand by and have someone with such a negatve attitude downplay the accomplisment that we made many years ago. It was done and the 300 gr bullet had a lot of power left at that range.

Thanks to all of you over here who did understand and gave positive feedback on my behalf. I appreciate it.

Darryl Cassel