Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Longest shot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Gold Member

Re: Longest shot

bart

my exbal has the impact velocity at 2100 yrds @ 954 fps. your program might do the subsonic calculations better than mine, i dont know dont care. but the basic formula for energy is
weight x velocity squared divided by 450395

300 X (954x954)/ 450395 = 606.21 (see original post) @ 600 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

d-a
Old 03-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member

Bart

There are plenty of witnesses to some of Darryl's feats even though I don't remember that he personally pulled the trigger on the one at 2100yds. I personally posted the video of Boyd's deer. The Pa shooters have their own particular techniques and equipment. If you get to know the people and their abilities and equipment then 2100 yds is a stretch and I couldn't do it but some of them are good enough to do it.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:27 PM
Gold Member

bart

here is where dc was telling some one of the 2100 yd shot

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...rt=all&vc=1

it also list his impact velocity as well as energy and took @ 53 moa to get there. its about half way down the page
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

d-a
Old 03-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
There are plenty of witnesses to some of Darryl's feats...

[/ QUOTE ]
I never said it couldn't be done. I've made a few myself, but don't consider them worthy of going into the details of. 'Twould be nice to find out what his (and others) 'feats' to 'failure' ratio is for such long shots. Mine, like the rest of the human race, is few to many. But that doesn't make good press. Having watched many of the world's best long range shooters do their stuff, wonderous things do happen at long range....once in a while.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:56 AM

Thanks for that guys, I know a guy who shot one at 1425 but 2100, man thats a long way.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:14 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
The Pa shooters have their own particular techniques and equipment.

[/ QUOTE ]Lots of folks could use the same equipment and techniques. Heavy, accurate rifle shooting heavy, accurate bullets quite fast. Then measure the range, guess the sight settings, have some people watching the impact area then take a few sighting shots making corrections for each one and finally nailing the elk with a lucky shot.

Doesn't sound complicated, difficult or impossible to me. Military folks have been using the same technique for many years. There's lots of people who could do that. Personally, I'm not impressed. I would be if he had nailed the elk with the first fired shot.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Chawlston

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Pa shooters have their own particular techniques and equipment.

[/ QUOTE ]Lots of folks could use the same equipment and techniques. Heavy, accurate rifle shooting heavy, accurate bullets quite fast. Then measure the range, guess the sight settings, have some people watching the impact area then take a few sighting shots making corrections for each one and finally nailing the elk with a lucky shot.

Doesn't sound complicated, difficult or impossible to me. Military folks have been using the same technique for many years. There's lots of people who could do that. Personally, I'm not impressed. I would be if he had nailed the elk with the first fired shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I know why there is more than one long range hunting site and why the guys who were the topic of this thread are now elswhere with their vast knowledge and factual information.

James