Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Longest Hunting Harvest on the Boards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Banned

Re: Longest Hunting Harvest on the Boards

Mr Unich

If you are impressed by these claims you certianly do have room for improvement,lets for a minute pretend this actually happened as posted,Who in the hell takes a 700+ yard shot with a 223 at anything other than rodents and vermine?Someone with very little respect for game,hunting ethics and the limitations of their weapon,there is nothing to be jealous of,even if the shot were made as posted it was a very poor shot.

Unread 07-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Bronze Member

to date it would be 497 yrds on a mule deer in west texas. had been practicing for this shot the whole year prior to last hunting season when it was made. rifle was a rebarreled m77 in 280 rem shooting a 168 berger at 2870 fps

I saw a man shoot a deer with a lever action 30-30 with open sights at about 350 yrds killed it deader than heck. funny thing was he had no clue as to how far it was when he shot,he admitted it was just luck. I have shot at hogs and coyotes at increadible ranges but I will tell you for the most part any hit beyond maybe 600 yrds is luck. I do a fair mount of shooting too. Just my opinion, for anyone to attemp to shoot a deer with an ar-15 with wolf ammo that is beyond 200 yrds is asking failure. I have culled many a deer with the 223 with in 200 yrds it amazing just a little beyond that all i can say is call in the dogs.
Unread 07-29-2009, 08:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3MHunter View Post
I know it is very possible to hit a target with a 308 with open sights at 920 yards, but that's not my point. The point I was making is that the equipment being used was being stretch way past it's limitations, and more than questioning his skills I was questioning his ethics. I'm willing to bet that there are quite a few people here that are better shots than him that would never think of shooting a deer at 920 yards with a 308 with open sights.

And speaking of ability, it is because I have tried and practiced shooting long range that I know what it takes to make a cold bore shot at 920 yards with top of the line equipment (scopes with target turrets, range finders, weather stations, and custom built guns with match barrels using handloads with target bullets) that I question his "ability"

-X3M

What I am trying to get at, is it really necessary to make a man feel like a pile of dog poo, because of what he says. The title is "Longest Harvest on the Boards," not "Tell me how far you shoot so that we can question your ability, ethics, and make fun of you!" ..... Just a thought. If you want to keep people in this sight, a better use of tact when discussing things is necessary. Nonya has proven that he doesn't care and that's okay, but it is necessary for the rest of us to prove that we are better than that. Is it ethical to take a shot at that distance with that projectile at that large of game? No. But he did, and just happen to get the right shot off at the right time. Can we prove him wrong, no... none of us were there to witness it being made so we have to take his word for it. I'm defending the rights of others to join into conversation without having to be worried about being hassled. We all say that these types of shots could be made under perfect circumstances, maybe that day happened for him. Call me a Unich, call me spineless, but I know who I am, and what I stand for. If that is wrong, then so be it. I promise this will be my last post on this subject.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Unread 07-29-2009, 12:30 PM

Back to the question at hand, I shot a moose in Alaska in 1979 with an old 30-06 at 325 yards.

I was standing on some logs on a bluff shooting off hand at the time so I have to say I am still proud of the shot. Pure eyeball ranging with holdover.

Just built a .375 Chey Tac so I hope to push this out quite a ways this year.
Unread 07-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
What I am trying to get at, is it really necessary to make a man feel like a pile of dog poo, because of what he says. The title is "Longest Harvest on the Boards," not "Tell me how far you shoot so that we can question your ability, ethics, and make fun of you!" ..... Just a thought. If you want to keep people in this sight, a better use of tact when discussing things is necessary. Nonya has proven that he doesn't care and that's okay, but it is necessary for the rest of us to prove that we are better than that. Is it ethical to take a shot at that distance with that projectile at that large of game? No. But he did, and just happen to get the right shot off at the right time. Can we prove him wrong, no... none of us were there to witness it being made so we have to take his word for it. I'm defending the rights of others to join into conversation without having to be worried about being hassled. We all say that these types of shots could be made under perfect circumstances, maybe that day happened for him. Call me a Unich, call me spineless, but I know who I am, and what I stand for. If that is wrong, then so be it. I promise this will be my last post on this subject.

Tank
+1. I couldnt have said it any better. Thanks!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Unread 07-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Banned

He has the longest deer kill with a couple different calibers on the board,guess that makes him worth talkin about,doesnt mean we have to pretend to believe everything posted in the thread
Unread 07-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONYA View Post
He has the longest deer kill with a couple different calibers on the board,guess that makes him worth talkin about,doesnt mean we have to pretend to believe everything posted in the thread
You dont have to believe anything if you dont want to. That is your right. You just dont have to act like a jerk about it. I am not trying to attack or offend you. Just asking you to show some respect.

Always make sure your words are seasoned with salt. This is because every now and then, you will have to eat your own words. It is much more pleasent to eat them when they arent bitter.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.