Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Longest Hunting Harvest on the Boards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: Longest Hunting Harvest on the Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryrebel View Post
I do not know what the drop is on those. Just ranged and dialed the scope.
I can see where this is heading so I'm done.
I think we all knew where this was going since the first question! LOL

Unread 07-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3MHunter View Post
I think we all knew where this was going since the first question! LOL
Where else would it go!Ill bet the wind plays hell on that bullet out past 8-900 yards...
Unread 07-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryrebel View Post
Longest deer-920 yards with a M1A 308 open sights, do not remember what load.
Damn, can you imagine what this guy can do with a Scoped 416 Barrett??? Probably miss high intentionally so that the bullet can go all the way around the world and hit it on the second go around! LMAO!!!!!!

-X3M

Last edited by X3MHunter; 07-27-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Unread 07-28-2009, 01:53 AM
Platinum Member

Spike elk at 915 yards with 338 EDGE and 300g SMK.

Mule deer at 800 yards with a 7 RM and 162g AMAX.

Coyote at 775 with a 300 RUM and 200g SMK.
Unread 07-28-2009, 05:49 AM
Bronze Member

Here is my 2 cents worth. I shot a Springbuck ranged at 380m (415 yards) with a sierra 100gr flatbase prohunter in 243 with a standard 3 - 9 x 40 scope from the fork of a tree. Not so sure I would have the balls to try it again with that equipment. Bullet was found beautifully mushroomed under the skin on the other side. It is not in the same league as you other chaps but I am proud of it!
Unread 07-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

Not exactly sure on the distance. It was pre laser rangefinder days. I was shooting a 7mm Rem Mag with 154gr Hornady spire point flat base bullets (probably 3175fps or so). I was at around 5500ft elevation and shooting down into the head of a canyon. I was using my duplex reticle as a range finder (changing the magnification to figure the distance). I used a protractor with a paperclip to find the angle. It took me 15 minutes to decide the deer I was looking at was indeed a buck. It took me another 15 minutes to decide it was 32degrees down, and I needed to aim 120" above to make a hit. I always kept that rifle sighted in to hit 2.5" (the length of an empty 7mm RM cartridge) high at 100yds (this would mean a sight in distance of around 260yds).

The shot was somewhere around 875yds, my bullet struck a few inches below my aimpoint and took the top of the buck's heart off. He was a 34.5" spread 4x4 with real short tines.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Unread 07-28-2009, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3MHunter View Post
Damn, can you imagine what this guy can do with a Scoped 416 Barrett??? Probably miss high intentionally so that the bullet can go all the way around the world and hit it on the second go around! LMAO!!!!!!

-X3M

Here we go again with the negative comments. I guess it is beyond you two (X3M, NONYA business) that there just might be a remote possibility that it is some what possible to make a shot at 920 yards with open sites and kill an animal. I guess you could tell that guy you have probably seen hit an 18" plate on a Buffalo silhouette at 1450 yards with a 45-120 with open sites its impossible. You could also tell the guys that shoot 10" bullseyes with open sites in Palma matches that it isn't possible. I bet you could even insult the lowly snipers of WWI and WWII and Korea that they were unable to protect their fellow soldiers from advancing attack with an Springfield 1903, Jorgansen 30-40 Kraig, M1 Garand because that is all they had at the time picking off the leadership at 1000yrds. Jeesh I wonder how a Civil War sniper managed with only a rifled musket (if they used there own hunting rifle) and the ability to take a Colonel off his horse at an estimated 1000 yards with open sites. I guess it is impossible to be that open minded.

I guess it is impossible to understand that some individuals who have grown up on open sites because they could not afford a scope in their youth. They had to use what they had and learn to use it well. I guess you just might be a bit jealous that it is possible that there is someone out there that might just be a better shot than you two.

But here we are... being little boys doubting a mans ability because you have never tried nor have the ability to meet his ability. Once again the world revolves around two individuals and their innate ability to judge someone else's ability. I wish I could be like you guys... then again, I like the fact that I'm far less superior and have room to grow.

Tank (a.k.a. Spineless Unich)
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!

Last edited by liltank; 07-28-2009 at 08:21 AM.