Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Longest Bobcat ever... .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Gold Member

Re: Longest Bobcat ever... .

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Thanks. My goal was to make it look like it grew here. I think I'm getting very close to having it right.
I honestly would be afraid to set the thing down cause it would blend in awesome in the country I hunt. How long did you play with the pattern to get it right?
Old 08-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
I honestly would be afraid to set the thing down cause it would blend in awesome in the country I hunt. How long did you play with the pattern to get it right?
Well it took me 2 months to make my mind up on the base coat, and I've tried six different patterns/colors on the top coat.

I'm going to use the same thing to try and do a diamondback pattern on another stock just for fun.

Mostly what I did was just try different colors of base coat and set them out in the grass or hang them from trees (sample pieces) and then scope them from a couple of hundred yards. Once I had settled on the base color it was a matter of trying different colors and patterns to overlay.

The way this final version worked out, at four hundred yards with it leaning against a mesquite tree I flat couldn't tell where the stock started and the grass and tree stopped.

I've been thinking hard about setting myself up to do cerakoting on rifles and stocks as something to keep myself busy in the summers so rather than experiement on customer guns I figured I'd just play with my own.

Last edited by WildRose; 08-24-2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: because sometimes my spelling sucks.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

My goodness, that was an exiting one!

Now tell me the truth, did you forget your ear protection? Reason I ask is cause I felt a bit of pain in my ears when I saw the muzzle brake...

Beautiful rifle!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 08-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglet View Post
My goodness, that was an exiting one!

Now tell me the truth, did you forget your ear protection? Reason I ask is cause I felt a bit of pain in my ears when I saw the muzzle brake...

Beautiful rifle!
Huh?
Old 08-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Silver Member

Nice shooting and write up way to apply your skills under pressure.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA48 View Post
Nice shooting and write up way to apply your skills under pressure.
Thanks but no pressure at all.

One thing I talk about a lot is the "art of sniping (insert shooting) vs the technical side of shooting.

It doesn't matter how much time you spend playing with your technology and calculating the exact dope to make the perfect shot. All of that works great at the range but in the real world of the field more often than not you just don't have that long to get a shot off.

I was just trying to convey "how it was done" before the advent of all the modern aids we have today.

You'd be amazed what you can accomplish with a little practice, and just a range and wind drift card taped to your stock.

As for pressure? Not in the least. Under pressure is when you look through your scope and see a bad guy looking back at you or for you through his own... . Been there and done that. Like I said in the original write up above, "What the hell all you can do is miss" and in this case, a miss doesn't get you shot or mean you end up starving. This is just fun.

Even when you do miss though every one of those misses is a learning opportunity. Take notes about how high/low, and windage, then figure out where you went wrong by trying to replicate the shot under field conditions in practice.

It's the misses you can learn the most from, not the hits.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Silver Member

Wildrose,
Where abouts are you? I too am about 1/2 way between Dallas and Lubbock in Knox Co.

6.5shaggy