Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Longest Bobcat ever... .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

Longest Bobcat ever... .

Every once in a great while I make a shot that even impresses myself.

This morning I had to go looking for one of my horses that I haven't seen in a few days and I'd tossed my new range finder into the truck just to play with while I'm looking for the horse.

Well I'm scanning the tree line towards the road by the plowed field and here comes a bob cat all happy go lucky just past the troughs which are just at the end of the tree line.

I can't get a good range but fortunately a truck comes by and it's a good reflective surface and I range it, and come up with 1197yds.

So I have to start doing some math in my head and I see a white rock that sort of brackets the cat and hit it, and it shows 897yds.

Well the cat is about two thirds the distance between the known points so I subtract two hundred yards and come up with 997.

I then get the 7mm STW out, pop off the scope cover and pick up the cat who is still just lazily walking along the edge of the fence away from the road.

I get on him and since I know the approximate distance between the posts is 5 yards, I count one, two, three and guage his speed, while counting his paces while he covers the five yards.

Well about that time he slams to a stop crouching and I can tell he's got something located and is about to spring for it.

Mind you I'm sitting in the truck resting the rifle on the mirror while all this is coming together rather than setting up on a nice bench or platform.

Well about the time I settle in to take a nice long shot on a cat that's crouched he starts moving back the other way tentatively at about half the speed he was moving before.

I crank up my elevation figure about 1moa for the light wind and another for the speed and have my hold and lead set and I'm thinking... "What the hell all you can do is miss".

Pull the trigger and watch and see a tremendous puff of hair and "organic matter" lit up in the morning sun so I just have to drive over and see if I'd really done it.

Calculated distance 903 yards, one shot, 7mm STW 140gr Winchester Supreme factory load. Yes I still have three more boxes and no, no one can buy them from me HA!

The rifle is my own, 700 Rem Custom, stock is factory, bedded Cerakoted Sand, with Krylon webbing/camo.

I've been playing with it all summer coming up with a color scheme and pattern that would be ideal for Texas Brush and High Plains Grass which is where I do the majority of my hunting and I kinda like it. I'll be doing the action and barrel next.

Oh the scope is a Zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44 with mildot reticle.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Longest Bobcat ever... .-stwbcatauglongshot11.jpg   Longest Bobcat ever... .-stwbcataug11.jpg  

Longest Bobcat ever... .-stwhalfcamoaug11.jpg  
Old 08-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Longest Bobcat ever... .

Great story and great shot. Thanks for the picture.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

Great field mind work. Great shot! Nice rig!
Old 08-24-2011, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

Great story and great shooting-----you sure you want to hold on to all that ammo??

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 08-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Gold Member

Nice story. I love the paint job on that rifle!
Old 08-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwrunner View Post
Great story and great shooting-----you sure you want to hold on to all that ammo??

Randy
Thanks. Yep, I bought 1,000rnds of it when I heard they were ceasing manufacturing of it.

I only have a few boxes left.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
Nice story. I love the paint job on that rifle!
Thanks. My goal was to make it look like it grew here. I think I'm getting very close to having it right.