Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

long/short range moose hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Gold Member

long/short range moose hunt

I got drawn for a moose tag here in idaho. the season started 09/15 and goes until 12/1. I have been taking my 338 edge and my hoyt each time I go out. i live in the foot hills and have been heading out every evening after work. getting into the moutains by 530 and having the last hour before dark. we have been seeing bulls almost everynight, but until tonight, everything has been pretty small. I am addicted to longrange, but also to bowhunting. My goal is to get a nice bull with my bow and to get the hunt on video. this has proved challenging but so far could have made it happen on a couple of small bulls. My will power was tested tonight and I just thought i would share the events. Across the canyon there he was broadside. a very nice bull, guessing over 45". I laid down, ranged him at 1007 yards, plugged it into my kestrel and dialed in. had the cross hairs on him, absolutely no wind and.... got all the gear together and made an attempt to get within bow range. on the way, another knob offered a 541 yard shot at him still in the same clearing, still broadside. I finally got to within 130 yards of him and tried to call him in. Did this until it was to dark to see. I have been taking the edge with me dreaming of getting a shot like this and i still cant believe i let it go. The only thing that stopped me is that I have wanted to get a moose with my bow for as long as i can remember. Tonight I almost gave in. The whole thing was unbelievably exciting. thanks for reading!
Old 10-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Gold Member

Re: long/short range moose hunt

Sounds like you are having an exciting season! Also sounds like you should leave the edge at home? What state are you hunting in?
Old 10-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member

Hmmmm I would leave the stick and strang @the house! You had the shot of a lifetime at 1007 but that's just my opinion I get all warm and fuzzy when I hear of shots or in this case shot presentations like you had.

Good luck with the bow or edge

Bigbuck
Old 10-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Silver Member

What I think you should do is alternate weapons,set your standards for each and go for it.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Well....I'll give you credit, you've got more will power than I do. I could not have passed up that shot. Nice read though.

Chris
Old 10-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

lamiglas,
nice story, it looks like you are more interested in the bow hunt than in the long range hunt as for now. You only get what you put into it, keep up the good work you are doing and show us the picture of that old bull with the bow for now, and with your edge on your next big game kill after it.
I would not have passed neither shots you had, you have to be very disciplined to do that. Keep us posted
Old 10-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Gold Member

yesterday began at daylight watching some natural clearings on the opposite mountain. i was out of my moose unit and we were elk hunting. a big bull moose came into the clearing and we watched him for quite awhile, while we were watching him an elk appeared. i ranged and then dialed for 480 yds and held on its shoulder waiting to hear the word bull. It was a super white animal but we just couldnt paint horns on it. Two cows walked out the clearing. Bummer, cow season doesnt open until next week thursday. 1 hour later, 2 cows came down the clearing moving pretty fast. an hour later yet, around 930 i saw a cow come out from the left side, i ranged it at 800 and dialed in for it. i held on the shoulder of approx 13 cows as they came through mostly one by one but sometimes two or three at a time. the last cow went through all the openings and stopped and looked back. My spotter said, ones a small bull, but before i moved to look, i moved my scope back to where the cow was looking and there he was. My spotter said that bull is over 300 easy are you on him? I said yes, and i had the crosshairs on his shoulder and followed him as he walked through each opening. I said stop him now and my friend bugled and he stopped in the opening with only a very small tree covering his front shoulders. he then took a few steps and stopped again also with a little brush covering him. i stayed on him with the bipods down and the sandbag in place as he walked out of the clear cut. If he had just stopped in one of the several openings we would still be carrying him out. almost all the cows stopped and could have been shot. This was my first long range elk hunt and although a shot wasnt fired, it was one of my most memorable hunts ever.

we came home and went after moose behind twin lakes that evening. had a decent bull at 45 yds but was waiting for dad and the camera. Then on the way down the mountain we spotted a huge bull but no shot opportunities. We have been seeing a couple bull per night on average. Sorry such a long post guys and again thanks for reading.

Last edited by lamiglas; 10-11-2009 at 06:31 PM.