Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long rifles and 4 wheelers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

Long rifles and 4 wheelers

Has anyone found a good way to carry these long barreled rifle on a fourwheeler? Most of the standard cases wont fit and last time I just carried it slung over my shoulder it got caked in dust. Has anyone here made their own case? or found one long enough to mount some were on a quad? Any help would be appreciated. Hunting season is coming and it time to start scouting!

I am the way I am because I watched the movies "Red Dawn" and "Tremors" at a impressionable age.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Gold Member

Re: Long rifles and 4 wheelers

This probably won't help you much. I can't find a case to fit on my ATV (bombardier Traxter Max 2-up front to back machine) so I just bought a long plastic hard case and strapped that to the front rack. It's only a few inches wider than the machine.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:05 AM
Silver Member

that is the set up I had before but now that my rifle is 52+ inches I am have trouble find a way to keep it secure while on the 4wheeler. What is everyone else doing? thanks!

JP

I am the way I am because I watched the movies "Red Dawn" and "Tremors" at a impressionable age.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Bronze Member

Look at the Kolpin Gun Boot 6.0 Transport case. I have a 338 Edge with a 30" barrel plus DE brake with a 5.5-22x50 Nightforce on it, and it fits in the case well enough that I used it on an elk/mule deer hunt in Colorado last year. The hinged back part of the case comes within 3/4" of snapping shut all of the way, so I just use a bungee cord to secure it. Worked great mounted on a Polaris 500.

Gun Boot 6.0 Transport
Old 08-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Silver Member

I went through the same thing and found the best solution was make some racks for the rifles. kind of a W formation covered in foam that goes on the front carrier.(holds two rifles) and a bungy covered in foam to hold them over rough stuff.

The problem I found with "normal" atv gun racks were they wernt wide enough for the fore ends.

At one stage the rifles were carried in pastic cases with breaks off, but this soon got tedious, for that reason and because plastic cases slide easily even tied down well.

The down side to this is that the racks dont hold sporter rifles all that well but I normally sling them over my back any way, and you have to be aware that the barrels can stick out a long way out the side.

I hope this pic fills in the blanks of my desciption, oh and the brackets are held on with 20mm U bolts.

BTW this with my Tikka Lammy T3 300WSM so it dosnt fit so well
Old 08-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like this is something to be worked on.

The problem is similar with a horse.

I carry my >52" long rifle in a self made back pack with the muzzle up vs down as with the eberle's. (When on an atv.)

Ya gotta keep the butt above your butt. Also, it doesn't work for squat on an horse except in the sage area.