Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Varminter - Opinions Welcomed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2002, 10:58 PM

Re: Long Range Varminter - Opinions Welcomed

Much appreciated, Mr. Cassel. I've got several other questions and many more that I'm sure will pop up as I go along with this project, but for fear of wearing out my welcome on my first day of posting here, I'll thank you for your time and chat with you another day. The things that you've said about reduced velocity and accuracy make sense to me. I just love the trajectory possibilities that the RUM offers. I'll be very interested to hear more on SPEEDBUMP's accuracy work-up with his 7mm RUM. Thanks. >> klallen
Old 06-27-2002, 04:16 AM
Silver Member

kl,

I E-mailed an attachment for you. Let me know whether or not it went through.

Best of luck! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2002, 07:04 AM

Morning SPEEDBUMP >> Your e-mail did arrive. I've been scanning threw all the info. this morning. Thanks. Please keep me updated with your accuracy progress. Sounds like your velocity is there. Now we need accuracy. Varminting up here in MT, we rarely have a day without wind. That is one of the reasons I was looking at the 7mm RUM. Less wind drift, flatter trajectory ... all good things in my book, however, if I can't achieve the accuracy I want, it would seem a wiser choice to go along with Darryls advise and stick with the RemMag or STW class stuff. Thanks again for taking the time to forward that info to me. Chat with you later. >> klallen
Old 06-27-2002, 09:41 PM
Silver Member

kl,

You're welcome. As Darryl stated, it's iffy whether or not the 7RUM will produce. It's alot of things rolled into one: overbore, huge case, wildcat, throat burner, etc.

It has been an experiment from the word go. It acts like it's also an in-between for powders - 'conventional' burning rate powders seem too fast (+ alot of unfilled case) and 50BMG powders seem a little too slow....

The potential is awesome, but unworthy IF it doesn't give 1/2 MOA (IMHO). I guess some idiot had to give it a whirl [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] !!!

I'll be doing some more with it early next week. If it's showing even a little promise, there's a conventional 1K match up near Rock Island on the 7th I plan to render some self abuse in. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2002, 02:15 PM
Silver Member

kl, Mike L, & Gary V:

I was able to shoot a few over a chronograph last week (sorry DC, it was a Chrony, not an Oehler - beggars can't be choosers [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] )

Prepped & weighed R-P brass, FC215M primers, Cauterucio 176 VLDs seated 5/1000 into the lands, 90.8gr 5010 pulldown powder, 94*F outside with matching humidity but brass & powder were room temp:

Averaged 3,378fps & ES of 15 for the 6 shots I was able to check. 7/8" 3-shot group at 300 yards. 3 1/4" for 6 shots at 500 with 4 of the 6 in 1 1/2". Mirage was atrocious!!!

This will be tweaked a little more. I'm still getting more runout on loaded rounds than I'd like although the prepped brass & neck thickness are averaging 1/1000". I haven't wrung out the 156s yet - hopefully in the next week - 10 days.

I shot the loads in a 1K conventional match this weekend. Although I had other equipment problems (sling & handstop) the loads shot pretty well: finished at or near the top in any sight (scope) but had a disappointing iron sight match. FWIW: I didn't touch the windage knob in the iron sight match & was inside the width of the 10 ring throughout. I was having to muscle the rifle [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] to compensate for the nonexistent sling & elevation was a problem.

F-L-A-T shooting doesn't even begin to describe this thing. An old pal was shooting next to me & suggested coming up 25 MOA from 200 to get on at 1,000 "...because that SOB ain't gonna be much flatter than my 6.5-284!" The 1st sighter was way over the top. I came down 4 MOA to clip the top of the LR target. It took 2 more MOA down to get centered. Hmmmmmm... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I'll post more when I get it - hope this trifle helps.
Old 07-11-2002, 02:32 PM

Hi SPEEDBUMP >> Thanks for the update. Was wondering how you were coming along. I knew you'd have the outstanding trajectory potential. The accuracy was my question. Sounds like that's coming along nicely. Let us know how 1000 yd. accuracy works out for ya. So far, I'm still leaning towards the RUM for my project as well. Good luck to ya. >> klallen