Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range for sure!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Gold Member

Re: Long Range for sure!

That's my friend Kenny Wasserburger from Gillette, Wyoming behind his Shiloh .45/110 and the distance is ONE MILE; yes sir 1760 yards! With a Sharps! KW sponsors a one mile match on his families ranch and surprisingly they get quite a few hits on a 48" bull at that distance! Yep...the cheek weld don't work too well without the comb being built up but all that aside....they do get some hits! This is shot using blackpowder and I can tell you now....them old 'dead guys' didn't lack for good shootin rifles!! KW is standing at the 3 o/c position to the target with his hand on the bull! Kenny shoots paper patch bullets as do many of the other guys!! This is just a 'few' of the guys that attend each year!

By rmulhern at 2010-07-30
Old 07-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Gold Member

That's pretty freakin' awesome. Thanks for putting it up for us to see, Chuck.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member

That's pretty amazing stuff. Would like to get some tutelage in black powder cased rifles. I shoot plenty with round ball, but the sharps is a direction I want to go one of these days.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 07-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

These fellas shoot lights out!!

I watched a match one afternoon. After one relay I picked a fella to watch. I set up my spotter right behind him and watched the bullets go to the Rams at 500 meters.

He and his spotter took a couple of sighter shots to get the clicks proper then went for score.

5 Shots, 5 Rams over. The amazing part was that his group looked great so I helped set the targets to get a closer look.

5 shots were well under MOA and group centered just above the rams pecker.

I was duly impressed!!!! Especially considering the afternoon wind and mirage.....
Old 07-31-2010, 11:32 PM
Gold Member

royinidaho

Here's what my 50 2 1/2 will do from 1000 yds. with paper patch bullets! Not bad....considering the design of the Sharps goes back 140 years! And that's shooting BLACKPOWDER!! No scope! Aperture sights!

Last edited by RMulhern; 07-31-2010 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Left out something!
Old 08-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

SHOW OFF!!!
Old 08-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
SHOW OFF!!!
No SHOW OFF; rather a clue to the 'younger set' what these rifles will do with BLACKPOWDER!! A chore to clean?? Not hardly! Three wet patches damp with plain old water down the breech and one dry patch and it's clean! Too many people have bad misconceptions about blackpowder because all they can see or recall are instances with muzzle-loaders and a 5 gal. bucket of warm water and the process of running a swab up and down the bore to get clean and to do that the friggin rifle had to be disassembled to boot! Not so with a falling block breech like onto the Sharps or a Hiwall rifle!

Don't get me wrong! I still enjoy shooting smokeless/modern rifles but it's a real kick in the arse to lay down prone, fire a shot from 1000 yds. and then roll over and look into my scope and watch a 550-720 gr. slug whack the steel plate!!