Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

long range and supressors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 03:10 AM
Silver Member

long range and supressors

so i hear both sides of the story yes supressors afect trajectory/performance no they dont but having not had much experience with them id thought this was the best place to ask

thanks

'lucas
Old 06-01-2010, 04:37 AM
Silver Member

Re: long range and supressors

all my hunting rifles here in the uk are suppressed , suppressors in my experience make no difference to the performance with the exception of one old sako 243 that a stalker in scotland used that was 50 fps faster with the moderator on ? go figure ?

you will get a poi shift with the mod on but thats easy to allow for , you will find that a moderated rifle is easier to shoot well due to less noise and recoil.

they are ungainly on the end of your rifle but there becoming lighter and shorter all the time ?

Russ
Old 06-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Silver Member

yeh the recoil and noise in relation to scaring animals im not to worried about it just my hearing with 100gns of powder it cn b pretty loud and after 2 rounds my hearing is a bit lacking i have a break on it nw so do u think the postion would still change?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Silver Member

less recoil and noise make it easier to shoot accuratley thats all .

the poi change is due to barrel harmonics , i'm lucky and just get a 1moa vertical shift so it's easy to compensate for but i've seen rifles that are up to six inches off at 100yds at 7 o'clock?
Old 06-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member

I have an interest in these also. I read of one company making these out of titanium, which was appealing due to their lighter weight. I may try one out on an AR-15 first. The ones I saw for a 300 Win Mag were a fair amount larger and heavier. I'm not convinced I wanna pack that extra weight, with the extended barrel length, around on pack-in hunts. In fact I'm pretty sure I don't. But I could sure do without the muzzle blast.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

Firstly they do not in any way effect the performance of the rifle in a negative way, except for as stated a slight POI change either on or off.

the size (as we all know LOL) is an issue! a few smiths over here make them, pretty light too 320 grams for some, but it is the issue of the OAL of the rifle, that concerns me too.

I have one on my 223 had it for years, heavy too, 2.2 lbs!! would I change it? NO, cause it doubles as a batton when I run out of ammo !
But seriosly, they have their place sure, its on my 223 because I shoot rabbits on lifestyle blocks for people and neigbours get a little pissed with a boom, not so much with a suppressor, but the super sonic crack still gets peoples attention.

A mate wants one on his 300 RUM because he has a dog, you think its bad for us!! poor old pooch cant stick his fingers in his ears or put on muffs and how much more sensitive is their hearing to ours.

Ive considered one for my Lapua but after seeing one and laughing my ass off I decided against it, the OAL of the rig was almost as big as me!!! muzzle break and ear plugs are way easier.

However the flipside to it is that they dont have to be on all the time, they are fairly compact and sturdy and they screw on and off easy, on risky thing is losing the thread cover on the barrel. long range shots are rarley rushed so you have time to do all this, BUT for the big cals I still advise wearing earplugs if you can/want to.

If you think it will make you more comfortable shooting, go for it its your rifle and ears after all.

Regards 300WSMMAD

Last edited by 300WSMMAD; 06-02-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:40 AM
Silver Member

brillent thanks 300 yeh the pack weight isnt 2much of a issue cause the pro out way the cons i do wear muff when im range shoot due 2 the hi volume but hunting i dnt wear anything i was with a guy who wore plugs and 2 wait him to jam them in while hunting . i can deal with 1 or 2 shots but 1 or 2 shots over time is where the damage is gna come frm dan hardy makes a resonably light unit and i think the ultra would look badass with a supressor on it 2

thanks

lucas