Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Shotgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2005, 03:02 AM
Gold Member

Re: Long Range Shotgun?

Distantfoe, Don't want to appear ignorant, but I've not heard of a swing lock muzzleloader. What type of ignition, propellant, and trigger? Who makes it? Thanks for the info. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2005, 04:11 AM
Silver Member

Here's the link www.swinglock.net Sorry to keep the reply so short, but I'm heading off to a bowhunt in a few minutes. I'll be back this evening and will reply in more depth.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:01 AM
Bronze Member

Zimm, I slug hunt in Ia also, and I would recommend buying the Savage 210 bolt slug gun. It should be around $400 new and is a very good shooter. It does kick like a mule, which could be alleviated somewhat by a good recoil pad. The trigger sucks on this gun, but also can be fixed. The thing can shoot however, which is why I've owned two of them. I sold my first one to buy a Tar Hunt, but could not find a used one so I just bought another Savage. Mine have both preferred the Winchester Supreme Partition Gold sabot slugs at 1900 fps, and I've killed several deer at distances over 200 yards.
Dave, I'm curious why you switched away from the Savage, as I've seen much better results from them versus the Remmys with candilever barrels unless you pin the receivers to make them tighter. Cowman
Old 12-11-2005, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member

Cowman

Quote: "The trigger sucks on this gun,..."

The stock was a little off for me also, the grip to trigger distance is a little long for my liking. My trigger finger has had a rough life, amputated tip (~3/8ths inch) and I managed to also sliced off most of the "pad" (fingerprints). This particular finger is pretty sensitive and extremely so in cold weather and using an ugly trigger and having the reach a bit long is not something I like.... the Savage went, as have the Mossberg pumpguns.

The longest shot I ever made on a deer was with the Savage and Lightfields (well over 200 yards) but I've made some fair distance shots with the Rem 870 and Coppersolids.

My Remington cantilever shoots well, I only use Lightfield (2 3/4") nowadays and use rifle for the longer ranges (I'd still take a 200 yard shot with the Lightfields and a good broadside deer).
Old 12-11-2005, 09:58 AM
Bronze Member

I emailed Hastings to see what they can offer. I have found a very nice saddle to compliment my gun. I would still be able to use my rifled sites if need be. I now need a shotgun scope that would be able to take some serious abuse. Last weekend it snowed 10 inches and was around negative 10 while we where hunting. I had about a quarter of inch of ice on my barrel at times. Other guys in the groups scopes and red dots either fogged up or didnt work. What would you recommond for deer. I need something that is going to be extremely durable/solid. I hunt some pretty nasty steep hills. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Bronze Member

Zimm, I would stick with something simple, like a 4x Leupold or Nikon. Less stuff to go wrong, and both have excellent glass with a lifetime warranty. Slug guns are hard on scopes.. so a reputable scope is a plus. Slap some Butler Creek or Leupold scope covers on it and it should serve you well through some crappy weather.
However, if you are making 250-300 yard running shots consistantly with your current rig(smoothbore 1100), you may wish to consider some long range glass like Nightforce, US optics for your new rig [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Good luck Cowman
Old 12-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Gold Member

Zimm, Since you are going for long shots, I would go with a Burris Full Field II 6X with 17 feet field of view. I would send to the factory for the ballitic plex reticle change out. Close shots you have your open sights, anything beyond 50 yds your scope will come on line. The Burris is tough and the fixed power even more so. The ballistic plex will allow you to hold over with more precision. Just a thought. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]