Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range shot gun???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 03:59 PM
Bronze Member

Long Range shot gun???

I was just day dreaming about a shotgun that could shoot #4 buck out 200yds with a tight enough pattern to kill a coyote. What would it take? Every thing I find online is guys shooting slugs.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Gold Member

Re: Long Range shot gun???

I've shot through walls and car doors with bird shot at 200 yards with a 16 inch bbl. sawed off. Not at a live animal, mind you, but at old buildings, old cars, ect... Punch a hole right through the first wall and destroys everything behind it.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
I've shot through walls and car doors with bird shot at 200 yards with a 16 inch bbl. sawed off. Not at a live animal, mind you, but at old buildings, old cars, ect... Punch a hole right through the first wall and destroys everything behind it.
Are you kidding me? I've been shot (or as we call it "peppered") several times on the dove fields from 100-150 yards away with 28-30" barreled shotguns shooting high-brass, and I don't have any lead ingrained in me. There's absolutely NO way you shot a 16" shotgun 200 yards accurately, and it not bounce off the walls.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:07 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Are you kidding me? I've been shot (or as we call it "peppered") several times on the dove fields from 100-150 yards away with 28-30" barreled shotguns shooting high-brass, and I don't have any lead ingrained in me. There's absolutely NO way you shot a 16" shotgun 200 yards accurately, and it not bounce off the walls.
To me it sounds like one of two things: Typo -- buckshot instead of birdshot.

or

cut shells, which have their own nightmarish set of problems.

For #4 buck on target at 200 yards, I think you'd need a custom .24 cal blackpowder rifle. ;)

Matt
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
Purveyor of bad jokes.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

We used to play around with opening up the shell and pouring melted deer tallow in and adding extra shot and let get hard. We shot to about 100 yards with shot.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
being from Ohio we know shotguns and I'm hear to tell u that your not going to shoot thru any wall or car door with birdshot at 200yrds with any length barrel especially not a sawed of 16 even if you used 00 buckshot with a 16in sawed off you might get one maybe two pellet in a car door at 200
Old 04-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm sorry but no you haven't. It isn't even within the realm of what is possible.