Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long range or short range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2002, 05:15 AM
Silver Member

Long range or short range?

Ok What constitutes a long range shot? Seems to me it would depend on the fire arm and equipment used. A 100 yard shot with a 22 with open sights,seems to me to be a Long range shot. While the same shot with a scoped 247 is almost childs play. You guys think? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2002, 07:56 AM

Re: Long range or short range?

I think you're right on.
4 years ago I was shooting a 7 rem mag. with a 3-9 scope anything over 350 was a long shot for me then.
Last year I shot a buck with a bow a 35 yards, that was a long shot for me. Every deer before that was no longer than 18 yards.
With a rifle my longest ground hog was 1470 yards, to me that is ultra long range but to some of the other guys on here that's long range.
Last saturday I took a guy along g-hog huntin who never shot a hog before. He shot, with my rifle, a hog at 306 and to him that was very long range. He was hootin and carring on.
I think it's a combination between experience and equipment. But it sure is a whole lot of fun trying to increase your personal best.
Greg
Old 09-12-2002, 10:30 AM
Bronze Member

One of my hunting friends has a strategy that I think is applicable to this question.

My buddy like to try to match or complement the weapon to the prey or the style of hunting he wishes to pursue.

For example he would choose a muzzle-loader or Sharps if he were to go on a Bison hunt. This makes the hunt more interesting.

The same principles can be used when long-range hunting. We use scoped target .22 rimfires for hunting gophers out to 200 yards. This is a long shot for a .22 but as mentioned previously it is nothing special when I am using my 6BR.

In that case the 6BR is used for longer shots on gophers or coyotes.

Once we really begin to step out byond 500 yards, the big .30 cals come out. These can be used on gophers, coyotes and deer.

For really long shots, the next step is a .338.

So what you see here is not a strict definition of what is long or not but what is long for the rifle, equipment AND the target.

When I first expressed a desire to hunt deer long-range, a friend suggested I start with a 100 yard deer to get a feel for the hunt. To me this was a completely ludicrous idea because I was used to shooting very small targets like gophers at ranges out to 500 yards and I shot competition out to 1000 yards.

To this guy, with his equipment and shooting experience, 100 yards was a decent range. To me, with my equipment and experience, it wasn't any sort of challenge at all.

I think ultimately we do this type of shooting for the challenge, to make ourselves better marksmen. The degree of difficulty (to borrow a phrase from figure skating) always encompases three factors: Equipment, Target and Range.

Peter Cronhelm
Old 09-12-2002, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys, [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2002, 08:43 AM

baldeagle713,
excuse me for side tracking your discussion but i just have to ask shootinglong to describe for this longrange beginner his 1470 yard ground shot,
thanks,
Old 09-27-2002, 05:38 PM

dallascolt,
I was set up on a field where the closest shots are around 900 yrds and most shots are between 1200 and 1350. Anyhow, I had just finished shooting 2 hogs in the 1300 range and then he stood up,we tried to guess at what range he was(my range finder doesn't go that far). We decided that he was aprox. 1500. So I dialed in 35.5 moa and let one go.
Shot was high by about a foot so I took a minute out of elevation and let another go.
This just missed to the right,elevation good. By this time the hog had enough of those strange 180gr bee noises and disappeared into his hole. About a half an hour late he returned to investigate. I left him get comfortable and move down into the field and booooom. The end.
(Range determined by moa.)
I used 300 ulta with a hart 30" barrel. 180 gr ballistic tips. Leupold 8.5x25 scope on tapered bases. On bipods. B&L 20-60x80 spotting scope, Lieca 1200 lrf. Hand held wind guage. Spotter named Brian assisted by Phil on binocs.
Old 09-27-2002, 10:05 PM

shootinlong,
thanks for that description of your hunt, i appreciate it. was that a leupold a 8.5-25x50? and what reticle? i guess your satisfied with it?
thanks again,
dallas