Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long range shooting position

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2006, 09:23 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Long range shooting position

I definantly feel the steadiest when i am shooting prone. I am 6'5" and wiegh about 175lbs so verticaly I am a big guy but horizontally it aint the same case!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Problem is I have fairly wide shoulders so when the wind blows and I am setting on a bench I feel like I am shaken around a bit. On the ground I am flat as a snake.

At pdog towns prone does get to be pain in the ass, or more literally the top of the ass and small of the back. About 2hrs and I am sore. Also in OK we got red ants the size of SUV's so they can get up on ya. Also if you are shooting with a down ported brake you can get a little bit of God's country landing back on ya and sometimes so of its residents dont like the air time, hint, they red ants again!!!

For hunting, short practice seasons and fun shooting prone is the best IMOP. If we are pdog hunting for a long time then a bench is a hell of a lot easier on the vertebrea.

take it easy
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 08-19-2006, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
On the ground I am flat as a snake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a snake. More like a Johnsonville Bratwurst, uncooked [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I guess I'm getting too detaled in my quest i.e, the fine points of prone shooting from bipod.

I look at pics of prone shooters shooting the big guns and their lower arms are pretty much flat on the ground and their necks aren't kinked.

With me I'm more comfortable when supporting myself on my elbows and supporting the rifle w/both hands. But that sure isn't the steadiest, but I still shoot 'pretty' good, kinda.

Just got a box of 250s for the blunderbuss, guess I'll practice a bit this afternoon. Hell, maybe I otta sign up for trigfifty's freebee shoot, it's only 60 miles away. But I'm probably too cheap [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Gold Member

Hey Roy,

I will trade ya a couple truckloads of those fine ants, (or some similar ones that are black,) that Lerch was speaking of, for a couple truckloads of that cool air you were talking about. That way your up off the ground and we can get in some decent shooting for about 20 minutes till the air warms back up. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Even better, we got some that aren't all that big, (you get more for you money) but they all sneak up on ya at once before they decide to let you know they are there. One or two are just plain annoying, but 30 or more get your attention. Heck I can ship them off to anyone who wants them. I will cover everything but shipping charges. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"