Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long range shooting position

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member
Re: Long range shooting position

Shooting at such a steep angle would surely cause you to have quite a crook in your neck to do so from prone. A better explanation of your position, sitting, prone, etc.

Unread 06-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Silver Member

Hi Dave, I bought a non-swivel Harris years ago and still regret it. Later on I bought one 25C-S and two LS bipods. Having those swivels really helps when plugging groundhogs from odd positions such as from the side of a hill. Not up or down but rather parallel to it.
I do tighten up the swivel screws but it's up to me to keep my gun level. Will have to check out that notched leg model and combined with the swivel it looks like a great set-up.
Member: The Red Mist Culture
Unread 06-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Gold Member

yes, I meant shooting prone and it is really not comfortable.but if the bipod is high enough you don´t need to bend your neck down to compensate for a short bipod.
Unread 06-27-2005, 08:02 AM
Gold Member

Thanks for the tip... I will definately do that. I guess it just adds more rigidity to the bag?
Unread 10-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Gold Member
Re: Long range shooting position -poly beads

Resurrecting this one a little:

Dave, when you say 'poly beads' do you mean a hard BB-type bead or the slightly bouncy type of polystyrene bead that you get in bean bag cushions.

.....I just got back in from testing a bean bag filled with the polystyrene compressible type; it seemed to consistently shift my MPI 0.4 mil up at a variety of ranges

...I'm wondering if the fill must be hard beads to avoid this shift?
Unread 10-24-2005, 08:06 PM
Silver Member
Re: Long range shooting position -poly beads

Dave, when you say 'poly beads' do you mean a hard BB-type bead or the slightly bouncy type of polystyrene bead that you get in bean bag cushions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too am wondering what material you use so if you see this could you please post
Unread 10-25-2005, 07:14 AM

A shooting position is ANY POSITION that allows one to hold on the game well enough to ensure a lethal bullet strike! I killed a bull elk last Tuesday afternoon that was slow-walking across a high mountain meadow and my position was atop a high ridge covered with tall scrub oak timber! Fat chance for a prone/sitting shot here as a shooting stick would have been about as useless as tits on a boar hog!! I found one opening that I could see the bull through and made the shot offhand so I guess all those years of shooting Service Rifle NMC and standing events are still working! The bull was 329 yards quartering away to the northeast and the bullet hit right behind the left shoulder and exited the right front! Laying down and shooting dogs/coydogs is one thing....and shooting elk sometimes under fast moving conditions is another thing! If possible I'll shoot prone and lay the rifle across my backpack as this works good.....SOMETIMES!! But the best laid plans of mice and men sometimes take a "screwing"! At 65 I still climb the mountains pretty good but I think I'd get "woe out"....carting a bench around! That would get rather noisy also!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]