Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long range shooting position

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2005, 11:21 AM
Silver Member

Long range shooting position

What position does everybody shoot from, when you are say shooting chucks at a 1000 yards. I saw some photos of guys shooting off benches, but I assume not everyone does it this way. Do some of you sit, others maybe prone? Thanks.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:21 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Long range shooting position

We shoot almost everything prone. Of course if we would just get off our butts and build a bench, all of our target work would be done from the bench. Much, much more comfortable for long shooting sessions.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Silver Member

Do you hunt that way if possible. Shooting from the prone position I mean.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I fitted a 4x8 sheet of 1" thick plywood to back section of my S-10s box. Then bolted it down through the holes designed to hole the topper on.

Three is plenty of room for two shooters shooting across the platform and is plenty stiff enough for even shooting my 36 lb 50 BMG.

Nice thing is that it is very portable!!! Just about the right height for me being 6'3". It is a bit short for taller shooters but even better for shorter guys and ladies.

Take it off in the winter to save it from the weather.

Nice thing is when it finally gets to the point that its time to replace it I will simply go get another sheet and fit it the same way. $35 and your good to go for many years.

Only real negative is that when its really windy, the truck does rock in the wind a bit. Still if its really windy, I generally do not shoot extreme range.

This works great for full size trucks as well but you may need to screw on some supports on the bottom of the sheet of plywood to stiffen it up. This is easy, take the proper length of 2x4 and use good wood screws and secure the 2x4s to the bottom of the platform in an X pattern, This will stiffen the platform up plenty for any rifle up to 30-35 lbs with all the accessary gear.

Remember to leave the support 2x4s short enough to allow clearance for the plywood to overlap the bed rails.

If you have a new truck I would not recommend this as there will be some wear on the bed sides from shooters rubbing on them and the board can cause paint ware on the bed rails.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-22-2005, 01:01 PM
SPONSOR

I don't guess I understood this when you were explaining in a earlier thread.

What a great idea!!! Can't beleive I didn't get it the first time.

As far as the hunting goes: I just got into this long range stuff last year. I am not sure how I'm going to hunt. Probably prone off of bipods if the area allows it. This is how we shoot prairie dogs.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

Kirby,

That sounds like it would work great. Although I don't think you can take a truck where I shoot chucks. You have to do a bit of walkin.

What bipod do you all use for the prone position?
Old 06-22-2005, 04:25 PM

I/We shoot everyting prone... or at least from a pratical/tactical position.. which is why I shoot mostly Tactical style rifles.. I just dont see the point of shooting from a bench when you cannot carry a bench hunting...

the exception of course is pd towns...