Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range shooting on an Encore frame.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2006, 05:34 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Long Range shooting on an Encore frame.

There is a lot of guys shooting Contender's and Encore's that frequent a forum called "Specialty Pistols"
Even have a LR area, but it doesn't have the experience you will find here.
Here is the website:
http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x

SEB Coaxial Front Rest - Dealer
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...t-by-sam-hall/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCsyjQr0Yrc

"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no.........they're awake!""
Old 04-23-2006, 07:38 AM

I have a question. Obviously, whith a break open action, every time you take a round out and put another in the forearm is going to sit on the rest at a different point, causing a different point of pressure on the barrel. WHAT IF, instead of using a forward rest, I used a good bipod instead? A rear bag supporting the stock obviously would still be used but with a mounted bipod, I figure that the pressure point would be at the same place on the forearm every time. Any thoughts on this?
Old 04-23-2006, 07:58 AM
Platinum Member

Swift,

Do a search on "specialty" for posts newer than about a year. Then click on every one that shows xphunter as the poster. Then do some serious reading. Good stuff.

Carig Dodd, you ol' duffer. Welcome aboard. As soon as I get something to shoot we otta hit the range one day. You said you're a "clicker". I have to many of those senior moments to remember to 'return to zero' so I use a mil-dot.

These guys are shooting those "speciality handguns" out towards the mile mark. Flat amazing. Kinda wish I had those xp's back. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2006, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

Swift I build a few Encores for some guys and relitives the way I solve the forend perssure problem is by piller bedding the forend . that way the only thing touching the barrel is the two small pillers.
Fred at Bullberry has a "hangerbar" system that he uses and it works realy well but I have found the pillers to be just as effective and alot cheaper.

My 15" encore pistol will shoot 175gr SMK's at 2500+fps and shoot them under 1/2moa out to 300yds , the recoil is kinda roungh but if I were gonna shoot far thats what I would use my typical load is a 150gr Ballistic tip running out at around 2550fps.
I also have several rifle barrels that'll shoot around the 1/2moa mark.
The encore is a good gun to build on , you can have a 28-30 heavy barrel and weigh alot less that a bolt gun. Just like bolt guns they take alittle work to get them to shoot
Old 04-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Bronze Member

Swift One,

xphunter and Roy have directed you to an absolute gold mine of information on the Specialty Pistols web site.

Regarding your question on the forend and the front rest, there are two factors that may help. First, my rests (Hart and a Bald Eagle) have a forend stop that helps me accuratly (consistantly) position the forend on the front rest. Second, many of the custom barrel makers for the Contender/Encore use a hangar bar that is attached to the barrel and the forend attaches to that bar. The forend doesn't touch the barrel or action. I am convinced that the hangar bar has improved the shootability of my Encore by minimizing any effect due to forend/bag contact inconsistancy. In addition, again thanks to the hangar bar, I have had not noticed any problems when switching between the front rest and a bipod in the field.

Craig in SE Idaho
Old 04-23-2006, 03:49 PM

I do appreciate all the comments and advice. I am not really wanting to get into the whole bedding thing but the hangar bar system sounds a little interesting. Which barrel companies do this? Does the T/C Custom shop make their barrels with a hangar bar?

I thought about going with a bipod anyways becuase I would have this creation in the field doing some prone work on steel targets and critters.

I also would be wanting to get a good forend for this. I am going with the Composite black stock and forend for hunting applications but would like something a little more sturdy and wide for target shooitng and for the bipod. I have seen some sweet custom laminate forends out there for Encores.

Again, I thank you all for the replies. I am new to this long range thing and really to Encores. BellM's forum is getting me off on the right foot and this one is helping out quite nicely for the "reaching out there" factor.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

I have an Encore that has the 7mm Mag (26" bull) and it is a 3/4" shooter with minimal load development.

You have been given all the good sites, the only thing that I would add is that Ebay consistently has a lot of custom Encore stocks listed and you can find about any thing you want.

BH