Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Shooting Checklist?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Bronze Member

Long Range Shooting Checklist?

When you are preparing to take an ethical, long range precision shot at undestirbed game what is your checklist? Say for me, I have a tripod rest for my rifle and bullet drop turrets for my ammunition of choice.
This is something I just thought up. #1 range the animal, #2 calculate the true horizontal distance with an angle cosine tool, #3 check the wind, #4 adjust the windage and elevation turrents to the corrected range and wind, #5 pick a place to sit down where I can lean against a tree or rock, #6 then sit down, #7 adjust my tripod/bipod legs, #8 adjust the rifle, #9 look back up at where the animal was before I sat down(maybe never take my eye off it?), #10 look through the scope, #11 pick a spot, #12 take a deep breath (or a half breath), #13 take the safety off, #14 squeeze the trigger?
What do competition rifle shooters do? Of course there is usually not a lot of time to do a bunch of stuff when shooting at an animal. I am talking about where you have a little bit of time and want to make a precision shot off of a tripod.
Thanks
Bill
Old 09-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member

Hello and welcome Bill ,

I think you do pretty much what the rest of longrange shooters do ,although i'm curious about your tripod set-up.

I can't seem to find a shooting rest that suits me ,got any pictures of your set-up ? -Mike
Old 09-09-2007, 12:43 AM
Bronze Member

Mike, thanks. Hey I see there is a big article on shot preparation as well as others. Great into.

I have the new Stoney Point Rapid Pivit tripod and the tag along for the rear rest. I like it. The rapid pivit tripod legs are a bit too small for the tag along, so I put a piece on tubing on the tripod leg and it did the trick. I really like it.

Thanks
Bill
Old 09-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billinsd View Post
When you are preparing to take an ethical, long range precision shot at undestirbed game what is your checklist? Say for me, I have a tripod rest for my rifle and bullet drop turrets for my ammunition of choice.
Thanks
Bill
I would nt use the Bullet drop turrets. I would use a scope that tracks well and has measurments in moa then I would use a ballistics program that you can put your actual feild conditions in and it would give the actual MOA that i needed for my conditions.

1doug