Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Shooting Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Long Range Shooting Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdslammer View Post
If I had a muzzle break installed on the 300RUM, wouldn't this help with the
recoil or would it be minimal?

With a good brake it would be at a minimum similar to a 308.

Also, what do you mean about "but my experiece is it's a roll of the dice with a remmy". I thought Remmy was known for it's consistency and quality control.
Thanks for posting.
Mark
Remington used to be known for quality but, in recent years the quality isn't consistently there and if you do a search you'll find it's been debated at nausium here on LRH. Some agree quality is a roll of the dice and there customer service is seriously lacking while some swear by them. I'd suggest doing some searches and reading some of the posts...pretty informative from both sides. Either way if half haven't had good experiences and half had...then you got a 50% chance on getting a good one...hence the roll of the dice comment.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

A good break will definitely tame the recoil. If you are just hunting with the rifle, then I would suggest the RUM. But since there is going to be target shooting involved IMHO, the 300 WM. When you look at loadings you will see that the RUM hold 100+ grains depending on the bullet you select vs 75 to 85 grains for the 300WM. When it comes to buying powder, you will get a few more rounds with the WM. Not to mention, barrel wear is much less.

RUM= 800-1000rnds depending on loads and bullets.
300WM= 1500 to 2500 depending on loads and bullets.

Just a thought,
Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 06-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
Remington used to be known for quality but, in recent years the quality isn't consistently there and if you do a search you'll find it's been debated at nausium here on LRH. Some agree quality is a roll of the dice and there customer service is seriously lacking while some swear by them. I'd suggest doing some searches and reading some of the posts...pretty informative from both sides. Either way if half haven't had good experiences and half had...then you got a 50% chance on getting a good one...hence the roll of the dice comment.
Well, thanks for the advice. 50/50 isn't good enough IMHO. I'd rather spend a few more $$$ and have a rig that is going to do what I want rather than be
frustrated not knowing if it's the shooter or the rifle.

Best.

Mark
Old 06-30-2010, 07:52 AM
Bronze Member

I bought a slightly used sendero in 300rum from the classified ads on this site. THe previous owner had done load work up, had a break installed, and break in. THe gun shoots awesome, and i was able to shoot a 2" 600yd group (3 shots) with the gun. I then bought a new sendero in .264 mag, and it is a shooter as well. I have only been to the range with it once, and all of the load i tried with 140gn bergers shoot under .75". I really like the feel of the sendero, once i put a DE cheekpiece on the stock. Thats my limited experience with the senderos, but i am also a newbie....
Old 06-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Gold Member

I agree with Chase1, Remington has gotten focused on quantity not quality. Now that being said that does not mean all the rifles they make are junk. That is not the case. Some you get will be tack drivers but some wont. My opinion of the two calibers you mentioned well i would go with the 300 WSM. Alright i know its not one of the ones on the list but i belive it is a better calliber than both of the ones you mentioned for target shooting and hunting.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperjwt View Post
I agree with Chase1, Remington has gotten focused on quantity not quality. Now that being said that does not mean all the rifles they make are junk. That is not the case. Some you get will be tack drivers but some wont. My opinion of the two calibers you mentioned well i would go with the 300 WSM. Alright i know its not one of the ones on the list but i belive it is a better calliber than both of the ones you mentioned for target shooting and hunting.
I would have to agree, but like you said, not on the list. I own a 300WSM as well. They make that in the LRH Savage Mod 11!

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 06-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

True, all Remmys are not junk, some are good and some not so good. While I have no personal experience with a 300wsm, I have read plenty of post from those that do and I can't recall a one that had anything negative to say...they all seem to love them. You may just want to give it at least a look even though not on your list...liltank knows his stuff so it couldn't hurt to take a look.