Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long range scope - which one?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 12:26 PM
SPONSOR

Long range scope - which one?

Hey guy's I have pretty much everything I need to seriously pursue long range hunting. I have this super accurate custom built .257 Weatherby/Ruger. It shoots itty bitty groups that come smoking out of the barrel @ over 3700 fps. I have all the reloading equipment, a fine tuned rifle, good friends to help coach me along. What I don't have is a scope matches this rifle's potential and what I want to do in the field. I've looked at Leupold's Tactical and Long Range scopes, NXS, and Nikon Tacticals. I'm sure any of them are better than what I have. I'm also torn between dialing in the range or using one of the various bullet compensating crosshairs on the market. So I'm turning to you experts. What glass would you put on this rifle in order to consistantly make clean kills between 400 to 700 yards? Right now I feel like the 4-12 Leupold is like hubcaps on a Mercedes. I need a better match up.

One more closer to the rifle
Old 11-06-2007, 12:33 PM
PUBLISHER

I vote for dialing in the range.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Silver Member

Very nice pictures. Thanks for posting.

Scope? Consensus is NXS.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Gold Member

I vote NXS with R2, why dail if you dont have to?

and I cant see your rifle pics!
Old 11-06-2007, 01:32 PM
SPONSOR

[quote=Big Sky;171793]Hey guy's I have pretty much everything I need to seriously pursue long range hunting. I have this super accurate custom built .257 Weatherby/Ruger. It shoots itty bitty groups that come smoking out of the barrel @ over 3700 fps. I have all the reloading equipment, a fine tuned rifle, good friends to help coach me along. What I don't have is a scope matches this rifle's potential and what I want to do in the field. I've looked at Leupold's Tactical and Long Range scopes, NXS, and Nikon Tacticals. I'm sure any of them are better than what I have. I'm also torn between dialing in the range or using one of the various bullet compensating crosshairs on the market. So I'm turning to you experts. What glass would you put on this rifle in order to consistantly make clean kills between 400 to 700 yards? Right now I feel like the 4-12 Leupold is like hubcaps on a Mercedes. I need a better match up.
----------------------------------------------------
I have both a Mark 4 6.5-20 and a 8.5-25 and both have Darrell Holland's ART Reticle. I like having the option of both dialing or reticle use and with ART I have 1.5 MOA increments all the way out to 24 MOA vertically and then the way the tics or dots are I have both 1/4 MOA and 2 MOA for wind doping. The 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, and 21 MOA can actually be seen when looking through the scope since it is an etched glass reticle.
Here is a a pic.

One thing about about reticle use is getting confused about which tic to use. I used to keep recounting which takes precious time in the field. The ART system solves that.

Last edited by Len Backus; 11-06-2007 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:45 PM
PUBLISHER

Ernie, I never knew any details about this reticle. Pretty neat.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-06-2007, 01:49 PM
SPONSOR

Len,
This is my favorite reticle hands down. The next scope I get with this reticle in it will be a FFP. I think it will be the ideal for big game hunting.
One other note on the ART that is unique.
The optical center of the scope is the 3 MOA line or dot not the main crosshair. Darrel did this intentionally to provide more MOA within the reticle.
Also, the horizontal line and upper vertical line is set-up in Mils for mil-ranging.