Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Rimfire Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2003, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

Long Range Rimfire Hunting

Just found a decent place to long range hunt for rabbit, that has rabbits. Anybody else play with their rimfires at longer ranges. Next week I will take the 22LR and 22WMR out to the range and esteblish click values for ranges out to 200 yard, our range only goes out to 200 yards. The farther ranges will have to be checked out in the field when there are no rabbits around. Can't wait sounds like fun. Looks like most shots will be 150 yards with occasional out to 300 or so. And yes I know that is not really long range, but for a 22 lr it is.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:44 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Long Range Rimfire Hunting

Mr. Robbor,
I do that kind of thing. Longest hit on gophers was at 203 yds. I use a match-prepped Ruger 10/22 with Lupy 8X that has windage and elevation target knobs installed. I had to go to Burris Signature Zee rings with .20 offsets front and rear, and it works real well. I use a lazer and range card to get there. Wind is a real problem with 22's, so I just dial-in as close as I can, then do a slow semi-auto straf, and it works [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Try it, it is a real hoot, and gives use excellent pratice when you don't have time for your bigger stuff [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2003, 11:14 PM

[ 07-11-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 06-13-2003, 04:22 AM
Platinum Member

I used my brothers 10/22 with a 8-32 Pentax on it and shot a bird out of the top of a spruce tree at 200 yards, wasn't the first shot but by the fifth I could see the bullet trace like he was telling me to look for. I walked the bullet right into him in three more shots!! Nothin but feathers! They couldn't believe it either. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] This was the first time I had ever seen a trace from a bullet either.... would't ya know it, with a .22 at that! The bullet was slightly corkscrewing all the way to the tweety too... unbelievable. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] My buddy Russ shoots his 22 at LR all the time, well 100 yards or a little more. I can't count all the game he's killed with it either. His 22 Mag and my brothers 17 HMR are a hoot at 300 yards. If you ever get a 17, get it in a rifle for good vaporization effect. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] His 17 Taurus pistol is alright, but lacks the effects! 20" bbl is all you need too. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2003, 06:31 PM
Silver Member

Yes the wind drift is something to be reconed with but to start I am only going to establish a click to distance chart for elevation and then just guess at the wind. No wind meter yet. I will have to get better in irder to pepper them with my bolt action 22 mag, LOL. I am heading out thursday hopefully for two days. Gonna be fun reguardless. I just wonder if the muzzle blast at 200+ yards will scare them away or leve me with multiple shots.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:02 AM
Bronze Member

A mil-dot scope will help greatly for both windage and elevation hold-offs.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:13 PM
Bronze Member

robbor, Where do you live? This is exactly the kind of thing I am doing. If I can kill some of the foxes,you can come over for rabbit hunting.