Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Rig Guidance please ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Long Range Rig Guidance please ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
I agree with others, for investment, I would up the caliber to min. 6mm, youll like better in wind and range capability
He already owns a 243. From his posts, he is quite accomplished with it.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 06-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
He already owns a 243. From his posts, he is quite accomplished with it.

Tank
Yes as Liltank said, I already have a .243Win and I am changing it as I would prefer a rifle with less recoil when shooting at very small targets at long distances. a .223Rem with a 1 in 8 twist will give me 1/2 the recoil with a 75 grain AMax and a better BC than an 87 grain V-Max in 6mm with a similar velocity.

I think the .223rem is a better option for the vermin I have in mind.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member

Well it looks like robbobsam has his mind made up for the .223. They didn't even get out to 600 yds. When shooting High Power competition you shoot out to 600 yds. with open sights. Scopes are not permitted.

6mm Norma BR. has very long barrel life even with the Berger 105 gr. VLDs that I use and almost no more recoil than the .223 with 80 gr. bullets.

http://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbr.html

I went the .223 route for a while until I couldn't compete at the longer ranges.

Oh well live and learn,

joseph

PS: The velocity of the .223 with a .75 gr. bullet is close to 2,700 fps and the 105 gr. VLDs are close to 3,000 fps. Berger .75 gr. Match have a BC of 217 G7 and the 105 gr. VLD BC 272 G7.

Last edited by joseph; 06-03-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by long450 View Post
Get the barrel you want! I would go Kreiger if it was me. I would not bother with the AI for the 223 Rem.
I agree.

Cut barrels give you more options but turn around is longer. Button rifled barrels are fine as long as they are stress releived. Leija would be my first choice for a button rifled.

I love Kreiger tubes plain and simple, long wait though. For 800 bucks I sent them my rifle and they installed the barrel chambered it and blue printed the action.

Lieja would be my second choice and I would imagine a shorter turn around. Some other names are Hart, and Brux. All make excellent barrel and in reality there is no compelling difference other that personal preference.

I can tell you that krieger will sit with on the phone for 45 minutes while you decide on what contour/twist stainless vs chrome that means something to me. I can also tell you that with the bore all marred from using a cheap cleaning rod and 3000 rounds down the barrel in 90 degree heat a Krieger barrel will print a 7/8 group at 185 yards. This tell me two things. They use good steel and KG bore polish works as advertized. Almost zero POI shift from warm or hot bore. Shoots even cheap wal mart ammo at 1.2 MOA

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V