Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Rig Guidance please ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Silver Member

Long Range Rig Guidance please ???

Hiya Guys,

I am in the market for a new custom rifle in .223 for long range varminting and the spec is as follows.

Accuracy International stock.
26" 1 in 8 Lothar Walther Barrel.
Lawton Action
Jewell trigger
20moa Picatinny rail
5-25 x 56 PMII

My main concern is the barrel, I have always wanted a custom rifle and always though the barrel should be a "Cut" barrel, but my local gunsmith is pushing the button cut Lothar Walther barrels.

Are they any good ???

I will be using this rifle for long range paper punching and long range varminting (Rabbits up to 600yds) What do you think of the spec ???

Your thought would be very much appreciated.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Silver Member

Re: Long Range Rig Guidance please ???

The 223 improved is a reall performer with a 1-8 barrel and 70g-80gr bullets no reall difference in barrel life with some improved velocity over the 223.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

Get the barrel you want! I would go Kreiger if it was me. I would not bother with the AI for the 223 Rem.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

How does 1/4 MOA tickle your fancy? I have a Lothar Walther barrel in a 28" 1:12 .308 barrel. I have a 200yd 3 shot group target measuring .555" (.265 MOA), 4 shot group .75" group at 300yds (.25 MOA), and just shot a 6 shot string yesterday measuring 3" at 645yds (roughly .430MOA). So this thing has been great. After break in it cleans up well too. The load I am currently shooting will put the cold bore next to the following shots. The guy that suggested this barrel manufacturer owns several barrels. He and his wife have won some F-class shoots in .260 Rem and .308 Win. All three rifles are built on Savage actions. I would say they are good barrels. The are made with 550 Stainless shipped straight from Germany. That is harder than the 416 Stainless used here in the states. I really like my barrel and they are comparable in cost with other barrel makers.

Give it a shot. I did and couldn't be happier!

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

I used to have a .223 which was very accurate, but I upgraded to a 6mm Norma BR. which is still inexpensive to reload and has less prep work on the brass ( no turn neck ). And very accurate with a 1 in 8" twist.

I am using my hunting rifle in competition at 1,000 yds. and am down to 8+1/8" 5 shot group.

To give you an idea this is what I did and how much it cost.

My new long range popgun. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph
Old 06-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobsam View Post
Hiya Guys,

I am in the market for a new custom rifle in .223 for long range varminting and the spec is as follows.
223 is nice, but why not move up to 6mm or 6.5mm? you can get better BC bullets and shoot farther with much less wind drift than the 223.

If you stay with the 223, 1:8 twist is where you need to be so that you can shoot the 77+grain bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobsam View Post

Accuracy International stock.
26" 1 in 8 Lothar Walther Barrel.
Lawton Action
Jewell trigger
20moa Picatinny rail
5-25 x 56 PMII

My main concern is the barrel, I have always wanted a custom rifle and always though the barrel should be a "Cut" barrel, but my local gunsmith is pushing the button cut Lothar Walther barrels.

Are they any good ???

I will be using this rifle for long range paper punching and long range varminting (Rabbits up to 600yds) What do you think of the spec ???

Your thought would be very much appreciated.
Although button rifling is accurate (I have a Hart that is button rifled), generally speaking, cut riflig is the go-to rifling for accurate barrels. Look at Brux, Krieger and alternatively, Broughton 5C (canted rifling)
Old 06-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with others, for investment, I would up the caliber to min. 6mm, youll like better in wind and range capability