Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long range rifle/ elk gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Bronze Member

Long range rifle/ elk gun

I know I have more than likely opened Pandora's box here, but here I go anyway.
I am looking at going Elk hunting this year with my dad and will need a rifle for this task However I am going to use this need for a larger rifle as a excuse to purchase a long range shooting rifle as a well. I have read quite a few articles and have narrowed it down to a 300 RUM I think!? I really enjoy shooting long range (1,000 yards or more?). This gun will actually be more of a long range shooter to me than a Elk rifle so weight is of no concern at this time. Calibers that have been in the question/interest for me area as follows (6.5x284 300wsm 338 edge) understand if the edge is the decision it will start life as a 300 RUM for a while then upgrade later. I stress I love long range shooting so WEIGHT is not a concern!!
If you have a opinion as to a caliber/rifle please explain as to why you feel it is better than others so as I get a better comparison comparison. O and I do prefer to reload simply for cost reasons and well fun!
Thanks in advance for all your input!
Old 02-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Long range rifle/ elk gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270VARMINT View Post
I know I have more than likely opened Pandora's box here, but here I go anyway.
I am looking at going Elk hunting this year with my dad and will need a rifle for this task However I am going to use this need for a larger rifle as a excuse to purchase a long range shooting rifle as a well. I have read quite a few articles and have narrowed it down to a 300 RUM I think!? I really enjoy shooting long range (1,000 yards or more?). This gun will actually be more of a long range shooter to me than a Elk rifle so weight is of no concern at this time. Calibers that have been in the question/interest for me area as follows (6.5x284 300wsm 338 edge) understand if the edge is the decision it will start life as a 300 RUM for a while then upgrade later. I stress I love long range shooting so WEIGHT is not a concern!!
If you have a opinion as to a caliber/rifle please explain as to why you feel it is better than others so as I get a better comparison comparison. O and I do prefer to reload simply for cost reasons and well fun!
Thanks in advance for all your input!
IMHO, the only way I would 'start' with a 300RUM and 'upgrade' to the 338 Edge is if I were going to have the 300RUM bore re-drilled and cut to 338. Otherwise, just go with the 338RUM or Edge. Why upgrade?
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

Speaking of 338's............................Just throwin things out to cloud the water....LoL

338 Lapua or 338 AX are also options. Factory 338 Lapua can be fired in either. The AX becomes an Improved Lapua after fireing however, and would require custom built dies from that point on. But it's supposedly capable of approx 150'/sec. faster than the 338 EDGE with 300 SMK bullet.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

7mmSTW with some 160gr AccuBonds will do the job just fine.

If you want massive long range power get a .30-378 Weatherby Mag or a .338-378 Weatherby Mag.

Been wanting to get another AccuMark in .30-378 Weatherby Mag for a while now.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Bronze Member

338 Norma Review By Ward W. Brien
Old 02-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

I've shot a herd of elk over the years,w 7mm,340 WM, now its the 338 NM's turn
Old 02-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Silver Member

I once knew a girl named pandora...I never did get to see her box though. All joking aside, a 338rum or bigger is tough to beat for elk sized critters, that far away.