Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

long range rifle actions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2007, 12:44 PM

long range rifle actions

Hello fellow LRHs,
I'm looking to devote one rifle to long-range hunting. I will use it for hunting predators and deer. I don't care about weight, I won't be stalking, just hunting from a stationary position.

Bench-rest competitors usually use bolt-action rifles with excellent bullseye-punching capabilities. Camp Perry shooting involves semi-autos with pinpoint accuracy.

My question is this:

Have either of these actions proved to be more accurate than the other?

Thanks,
Dixfield, ME 04224
www.mooserock.org
Old 01-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Silver Member

Re: long range rifle actions

A bolt gun should out shoot a semi auto all day long. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

AG
Old 01-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Silver Member

All being equal (quality barrel, accurately faced lugs, stock bedded, etc.) the Bolt gun will edge out the semi-auto as far as accuracy, albeit not by much. The reason for this is that there are many more moving parts in a semi-auto that must come back to the exact same spot to put the next round through the same hole. That being said, a very preisely put together semi-auto with a quality barrel should shoot just as good if not better than most off the shelf bolt actions. The main advantage of a semi-auto is a very quick follow-up shot, while the bolt action takes longer to reload. I personally do not see how this applies to hunting, cause I always try to make my first shot count [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Silver Member

Another thing is reloading. You can't use fireformed brass and a semi auto is pretty tough on brass and often dents it. I'm thinking this could result in different pressures that will affect velocities which would affect long range accuracy.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:10 PM

Thank you all for your informative opinions. I'll probably go with a bolt.
William Clunie
Dixfield, ME 04224
www.mooserock.org