Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

long range rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: long range rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba41 View Post
i'm .actually looking to do this on the cheap if possible
What's the purpose of having one built "on the cheap"?

There are some pretty cost effective factory rifles available that make excellent long range shooters.

You could even purchase a Savage (new or used) and rebarrel it to 338 Edge yourself on a pretty tight budget.

Here's an example:
Savage 12 F-Class Rebarrel

If you're going to have one built, then you need to let the smith do it up right. That's not to say that it needs to be over the top. Kevin Cram's work and his prices look pretty good.

Either way, don't forget to budget for all of the accessories that go along with a long range hunting system.

Good luck!
richard
Old 02-20-2011, 01:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
What's the purpose of having one built "on the cheap"?

There are some pretty cost effective factory rifles available that make excellent long range shooters.
+1,

Factory rifles are the cheapest way to go. Remington Sendaro is another that can get the job done. You could get it in 300RUM and rebarrel to an Edge later on.

If you go full custom build, you will spend some bucks, no matter who does the work (if they are reputable anyway).

Even just buying a remington action is at least $400, a barrel is at least $300, stock, bedding, floor metal, scope base, trigger, action blueprint, gunsmiths time...??? At least 2.5, maybe 3 times the cost of a factory rifle when it's all said and done.

It's not polite nor beneficial IMO to ask a gunsmith to do sub-standard or cheap work. We generally get what we pay for, and the top tier smiths take alot of pride in what they do.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Silver Member

thanks guys . where can you buy actions and regarding scope mounts 20 moa one piece ???
Old 02-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
where can you buy actions and regarding scope mounts 20 moa one piece ???
Chad (LongRiflesInc.) ordered my rem 700 action from Brownells. The only other option I could find at the time was to by a cheap factory rifle just for the action. I didn't want a used one, and didn't want to wait for a custom action on this particular gun.

Nightforce makes 20 moa bases, and I am sure there are plenty of others out there too, I just don't know who they are at the moment. I believe Chad even makes them, but don't quote me on that.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba41 View Post
thanks guys . where can you buy actions and regarding scope mounts 20 moa one piece ???

A good gunsmith can and will acquire everything you need for your build including the action and canted base.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

I'm going throw in on this one. Instead of a Savage (which I love and use regularly), go for a Stevens long action. Buy a heavy recoil lug, and a McGowen Barrel 1:10 twist prechambered and reamed for 338 Edge. Go to Stockade stocks, or Stocky's stocks and buy the blind magazine stock for a LA Savage rifle. For right around $800 you can have a semi custom rifle. You'll also need to purchase a magnum bolt face, unless you get a Stevens with the mag bolt face already.

You'll then need to buy yourself a muzzle break of your choice. The Pain Killer by Kirby Allen is a very effective break, and the Muscle Break that is sold on this site. Get the factory trigger adjusted or buy an aftermarket trigger that fit non-accu trigger Savage rifles.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member

[Nightforce makes 20 moa bases, and I am sure there are plenty of others out there too, I just don't know who they are at the moment. I believe Chad even makes them, but don't quote me on that.[/QUOTE]

Chad does in fact make 20moa bases in his shop (i've seen a couple). I've had Chad do some work for me & I can say his skills are the best i've EVER SEEN. He's also one of the most stand-up guys you will ever meet. Do yourself a favor & give him a call.