Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Rendevoux-----PHOTOS ADDED---SEE POST#72 for details

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Silver Member

Re: Long Range Rendevous----thoughts?

About 340 miles from my home in Eastern Oregon - pending dates I'd be interested and might be able to talk a few buddies into it. Keep us posted on the dates.

What are you thinking about (roughly) regarding the fee? Not trying to be cheap - just curious.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:38 AM
Silver Member

I'm game also. What a great weekend. Besides I would really like to meet you guys personally and enjoy shooting with fellow long range shooters.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Silver Member

No one here has answered his original question yet. "What would you be willing to pay,..." give him some kind of idea, he will be plowing new ground here, so the more info the better, I'm sure. There will be a ton of work involved in just setting up usable targets, not to mention upkeep. One thing is, the site is not being used now, so any income is better than nothing. The only increase in expenses would be a little electricity. I don't know the ownership situation, but there may be liability issues, so that needs to be considered also.
As far as targets go, probably the easiest way to get good hard targets is to use old cutting edges from equipment. (Dozers, loaders, etc.) various sizes, hard enough to last several lifetimes, and already have mounting holes. (And "shoot thru holes", watched that thru a spotting scope once or twice ) Mount them with rubber belting to a stand of your choice, steel posts work good, just need a crossbar. Broz has used an old swingset frame for a couple, still portable and relatively light.
Condition of the dorm will also need to be determined. Are the beds made up? Is the kitchen furnished with cookware and utensils? I am assuming it is good to go, but ...?
This does not have to be a big deal, guys like us are pretty easy to please, but there are a lot of considerations when you start thinking about it, some pressing and some for the future.
I, for one, am in the "need to do it cheapest" situation for stuff like this. My income and work status is pretty iffy right now, as well as a pending divorce, so you know where that puts me. I am pretty much a bring it with me guy who just needs a place to put my head, so $100 for a weekend is a lot for me. Couple that with travel expenses and it limits me to what I can do.
This sounds like a great thing to do, I am looking to do a couple such things in the coming year, although closer to home.
Keep us updated, and ask here for lots of advice, I'm sure you will get plenty, worthwhile or not.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

JeffP40, brings up some good topics. I recommend a well writen liability form to be signed brfore hand and notorized. I would have it returned with the lodging / food fees before hand. This should insure a good turnout and give a good accurate number of attendees as it looks like there could be many. Also the number attending will be important to plan for food and sleeping arrangements.

You did ask for price, and here are my thoughts. I always look for the best value in motels when I travel. I still end up paying $60 a night or more. So if you take that, plus average price of a meal on the road $ 12 to $15 if you eat cheap, then add something for your time, and the place to shoot. I see it going over $100 a day easily and maybe more depending on the food thing. On that note, here are my suggestions. I would do coffee , juice and rolls (cont. breakfast) in the am. Then let the shooters bring stuff for a sack field lunch, like when we are hunting. For the evening group meals , I would do things like a huge pot af chillie in crock pots or burgers on the grill or what ever is easy to feed a large number. I am not coming for food so I will be easy to please. I am coming first to shoot, and second to enjoy the evenings with like minded people to share in shooting/ hunting related conversations. Meeting people we talk to on the forum will be just the icing on the cake.

PS, I have a freezer full of elk and would be happy to donate burger.

Jeff
Old 02-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Gold Member

im glad to see the liability issue was raised. this is obviously a beautiful place.
one would think that anyone smart enough to own it would be smart enough to protect himself.
i would certainly hope so. any type of accident could be very costly.

i would very much enjoy this type of event. ive been looking for a reason to go to idaho anyway.

joel, i have some good friends owning a large ranch in s.e. montana. they love shooting also. lots of p.ds and coyotes. its the place i told you ive been hunting.
p.m. or call me and i can fill you in if your interested.

Last edited by yobuck; 02-04-2012 at 10:45 AM. Reason: addittion
Old 02-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

Seeing as how suggestions are coming forth.......

Liability is a non-issue for me. I'll sign what ever Randy generates. Can't trust my kids though. They are pretty possessive of the old man..

Safety is important. A range master type system should be implemented in the various shooting areas with firmly established guidelines.

As for accommodations, I'm an easy to please fella. This one bedroom, one bath apartment we have been in for 18 months is a true test. As in, this tent is too small for two people.

The important part to me, though don't tell my wife, is a shower and bathroom facilities. Honey holes simply seem wrong....

Once the numbers are firmed up, meals will be easier to plan. Catering could be expensive or more expensive than a "man thing" may need to be.

I think I read that the place has a commercial kitchen. That would mean a grill of some sort. If so, Krusteaz, eggs, link sausage, Ojuice, milk and coffee should be straight forward for breakfast.

For a group of people attending a stock dog clinic (20 people) the host provided the elk steaks (Broz - hint) I Chef Paul Prudhomme Blackened 'em cajun style. Yummy Maybe we could snag a road kill buff on the way over there......????

Another thought would be to pit cook a pig. One of those things should be around $125 plus digging a pit and several cans of Tony's Cachere's cajun seasoning. There is most probably plenty of local lava rock for the pit. Maybe dreaming a bit big here but, what the hey.... that's what guys do.....

I'm willing to show up a day or two ahead of time to assist w/set up and stuff. And stay a little later to clean up.

For evening entertainment we could sneak over to Ketchum, snag a some tree huggers, bring 'em back and match race 'em and geld the losers. Know a couple of cowboys who back in the day gave that a go with a couple of hippies. Frightened the hell out of 'em. The hippies, that is. The cowboys were too drunk to give a hoot.

Speaking of that, alcohol rules should be established.

Also, if the timing is right, I can bring a cinematographer along to get some good footage.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Silver Member

I for one would be willing to pay $150.00 to $250.00 a day for a event like this. Having said that...I have my own camper and actually like my own cooking.

Depending on how many people would show up? This could be a whole lot of work and money getting everything setup to accomodate a large group of folks. This is why I have stated what this would be worth to me. I just want to shoot and tell stories. Just organizing the shoot would be an undertaking. Not to mention food & lodging. Don't care if I am catered to at all. Just my opinion!