Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Rangefinder & Gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Gold Member

Re: Long Range Rangefinder & Gear

Here's the gear that works for my wife and me.

1. Swarvoski range finder hands down. If you ever plan on hunting antelope or mule deer out here in the west it's the only one that works without question.
2. I made a small rear bag that's filled with the smallest plastic beads I could find.
3. I use a Caldwell Wind Wizard. It's cheap and works great.
4. Nightforce Ballistic Program run on a Dell x51v I bought on ebay. It's protected in a Pelican 1020 case with 2 extra batteries.
5. I have a small ammo wallet from Cabelas, it holds 8 rounds.
6. Eberlestock X1 pack and it's awesome.

I've also picked up a spotting scope and I can't believe I went so long without one.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 11-03-2010, 01:07 AM
Silver Member

Does anyone use the Kestrel 4500 bluetooth along with an IPOD touch or Android phone? How does that work?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:21 AM
Gold Member

1. What kind of rangefinder do you have that will consistently be accurate out to 1000 Yards? Lieca 1200 CRF
2. Do you carry any sand bags in your pack? No. I use my day pack as a backbag and a Harris bipod. If I'm going to the range I'll take my bags filled with plastic beads.
3. What kind of instrument do you carry to dope the wind? Brunton ADC Pro
4. What kind of computer program do you use to determine your drop? I use an Excel program I got from LRHing's own Micheal Echele on a Dell Axim X30.
5. How do you carry your ammunition to protect it from getting damaged? In my daypack and some in my front pocket.
6. How do you carry your rife? Do you attach it to your pack? If it's one of my carry rifles it's on a sling. If it's one of my ambush rifles it's either in my Badlands 2200 pack or sitting in the backseat of my truck. (My Edge is +15#, my 6.5x284 is 21#, etc..)
Old 11-03-2010, 01:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhip View Post
Guys,
I will have my first long range gun built in just 2 more weeks and was wondering what you guys throw in your packs as related to:

1. What kind of rangefinder do you have that will consistently be accurate out to 1000 Yards?
2. Do you carry any sand bags in your pack?
3. What kind of instrument do you carry to dope the wind?
4. What kind of computer program do you use to determine your drop?
5. How do you carry your ammunition to protect it from getting damaged?
6. How do you carry your rife? Do you attach it to your pack?

All comments would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff
Congrats on your first long range custom gun!!

Myself and a couple of friends have dove into the LR thing pretty deep in the last year. This past season we learned alot and got confused alot too..LoL.

We carried:

Leica 1200 and Swarovski range finders (2 because you never know when the battery was gonna go dead) happens at the worst time!!

A light bag, don't know what he had it filled with, but it wasn't heavy at all.

Kestrel for BP, RH, Temp and wind speed. Varified and compared against a Brunton Sherpa and local weather stations.

GPS for elevations

Dell PDA with Exbal program

Binoculars and Spotting Scope with short tripod (very important for the spotter to be able to see point of impact, IMO)

Rifle had an moa reticle, sling and short bipod, also had an ACD and Cosine Indicator. Ammo was carried in the shooting bag in the hard plastic cases designed for reloads.....I put foam in the top of mine.

Shooting bag also had a rollup mat....very very important to keep cactus out of your privates while shooting prone. Real handy for crossing Barbed Wire fences too.

All the other stuff (knives, water, liscenses, paper towels, ect,ect) were left in the truck which was within a quarter mile of us.

I was primarily the spotter/wind caller/Exbal operator. The shooter (it's his rifle) got a nice buck antelope at 625 yds. Not extremely far, but the buck was bedded and all we could see was neck and head. had to kinda guess where the shoulder was, but good teamwork altogether resulted in a DRT antelope. His head simply laid over and he never moved again!

Best of luck with your new toy!
Old 11-03-2010, 03:29 AM

1. What kind of rangefinder do you have that will consistently be accurate out to 1000 Yards? Leica 1200, however you will want one that can calculate true distance with heavy angle, and one that can shoot through weather, like snow, fog, etc. This one cannot do snow, fog, or rain at all. I know because I missed around 3-4 coyotes last year, tried to range moose that were only 350 yards away and in a light snow(could see farther than 500 yards) it couldn't range past 130. So keep those 2 things in mind.

2. Do you carry any sand bags in your pack? No, not unless you want to pack them for me, . I like the stoney point tripod with the tag along only for sitting and on knee shooting positions, you can adjust everything and it can keep the gun steady. Then for on the ground laying down the Versa-Pod. It does move and does wobble but shooting on steeper grades you can still move your gun to correct this instead of having a fixed bi-pod. It does force you to remain calm and collected and to make a good shot because you must control your gun and make it be steady and control the wobble and movement, however many don't like the wobble and movability it has, its up to you for that one.

3. What kind of instrument do you carry to dope the wind? I have a kestrel, its really small and compact so can fit in a pocket and does a lot of things, like temp, humidity, all sorts of wind gages.

4. What kind of computer program do you use to determine your drop? You can use a bc turret calculator. Actually I did find one company that makes turrets for any scope if you give them the data, otherwise Gunwerks has a program online you fill out with all the info and hit enter and there you have a complete list of calculated info for you gun and hit print. Then you can do what you want with it, and it was free.

5. How do you carry your ammunition to protect it from getting damaged? I have a 20 round hard case made by MTM. its works but not the best, you can still here the rounds shake and rattle in the case but good enough.
6. How do you carry your rife? Do you attach it to your pack? I have the Eberlestock J34, insanely good pack with the gun scabbard built in. Do the adjustments and the gun just slips in like a great fitting glove.

Then when you do shoot things long range make sure you can get to it, pain in my butt on more than one occasion . But it is insanely fun, so have fun with the new toy!

Last edited by kenai_king19; 11-03-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:26 AM
PUBLISHER

I use both a Bushnell Elite 1500 and a Swarovski rangefinder. I will be replacing them with a GSeven rangefinder when they come out this winter. I used a prototype to range the furthest tree on the horizon at 1640 yards last summer -- easily. It has built in ballistics tied to your own custom drop table and adjusted for all current atmospheric conditions such as altitude, temp, etc.

I use a lightweight, compact 12 ounce LRH Rear Bag.

I use an Eberlestock Gunslinger II pack to carry my rifle in its built in scabbard. I can easily pull it out while hiking for that quick shot.

I use the Kestrel 3500 wind meter which has pressure, temp and altitude. It simply is the GOLD STANDARD for wind meters.

I took my new G Seven PDA/ballistics unit on my last WY hunt. It will be available for sale very soon. It calcs spin drift, coreolis and is VERY user friendly in the field which is critical to me. An online version of the software is right HERE on LRH.

All of these items I use because they are the best and NOT because I sell them in the LRH Gear Shop.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhip View Post
Guys,
I will have my first long range gun built in just 2 more weeks and was wondering what you guys throw in your packs as related to:

1. What kind of rangefinder do you have that will consistently be accurate out to 1000 Yards?
2. Do you carry any sand bags in your pack?
3. What kind of instrument do you carry to dope the wind?
4. What kind of computer program do you use to determine your drop?
5. How do you carry your ammunition to protect it from getting damaged?
6. How do you carry your rife? Do you attach it to your pack?

All comments would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff
1. Bushnell Elite 1500
2. No, i use a folded jacket and a harris bipod
3. Kestrel 3500BT and Android phone with Shooter
4. See above
5. Uh, my pocket, lol.
6. Sling over the shoulder.

Spotting scope coming soon.