Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Rangefinder & Gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

Long Range Rangefinder & Gear

Guys,
I will have my first long range gun built in just 2 more weeks and was wondering what you guys throw in your packs as related to:

1. What kind of rangefinder do you have that will consistently be accurate out to 1000 Yards?
2. Do you carry any sand bags in your pack?
3. What kind of instrument do you carry to dope the wind?
4. What kind of computer program do you use to determine your drop?
5. How do you carry your ammunition to protect it from getting damaged?
6. How do you carry your rife? Do you attach it to your pack?

All comments would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff
Old 11-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Gold Member

Re: Long Range Rangefinder & Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhip View Post
Guys,
I will have my first long range gun built in just 2 more weeks and was wondering what you guys throw in your packs as related to:

1. What kind of rangefinder do you have that will consistently be accurate out to 1000 Yards?
2. Do you carry any sand bags in your pack?
3. What kind of instrument do you carry to dope the wind?
4. What kind of computer program do you use to determine your drop?
5. How do you carry your ammunition to protect it from getting damaged?
6. How do you carry your rife? Do you attach it to your pack?

Jeff
1. A rangefinder that is consistent to 1000 yards is beyond what I am willing to spend, there are not a lot of them that will do it and those that will cost as much as the rifle I use. I use a Bushnell 1500 ARC, which is good to 700-800 yards in the mountains where I can range trees/rocks instead of game. Performance in the flatlands is worse.
2. Heck no. I use the tallest Harris bipod. If I need rear support I use part of my pack or clothing. Any other height bipod is useless if you need to shoot over something, or use from any position except prone. I prepare to make LR shots if I need them but I end up making a lot of closer ones requiring non-prone setups.
3. I have a cheap windmeter. Cost about $35. It works fine.
4. I print up a drop chart with wind drifts using the JBM program, which I have verified through field shooting. I do not hunt beyond 900 yards so I do not feel I need the extra accuracy of a field computer.
5. I have 10 rounds in a stock carrier on the rifle and 10 more in an ammo wallet in my pack. Never had a damage problem of any kind until the trip I just returned from, where inclement weather led to some tarish etc on the exposed rounds. I don't think it would affect their performance though.
6. This year I got an Eberlestock J107 pack, with a scabbard, to carry the rifle. I was left unsure if I really liked it or not. It was pretty hard to get the rifle out with bipod attached while wearing the pack. Additionally, the extra weight on my hips was a bit uncomfortable and I ended up preferring to keep the 12+ lb rifle slung over my shoulder anyways. The couple times I saw game I might have wanted to shoot I was glad I had the rifle slung, I would never have gotten it out of the pack in time for these sub-200 yard shots.

If you are in the mountains think about how you will determine angle. Either get an angle indicator mounted to the rifle (preferred), or a rangefinder that can do it. Past 700 yards or so it can make a difference at non-extreme angles.

Also, if you are in the mountains, get a scope level on your rifle.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

1. What kind of rangefinder do you have that will consistently be accurate out to 1000 Yards? Lieca 1200
2. Do you carry any sand bags in your pack? NO. that would be very heavy, heavy is bad. Harris bi-pod and a light weight rear bag filled with rice (sealed ) or air-soft bb's.
3. What kind of instrument do you carry to dope the wind? I have a Brunton ADC Pro. It kinda sucks but its what I got. hunting I just use my eye for wind, but other feild conditions need to be read too (elevation, humidity...). Krestels are the best.
4. What kind of computer program do you use to determine your drop? JBM ballistics calc (web based ). I plan on getting either Exbal or LoadBase shortly, already got the PDA.
5. How do you carry your ammunition to protect it from getting damaged? In an ammo wallet on my hip, and one in my pack depending on if its a hike in hunt or not.
6. How do you carry your rife? Do you attach it to your pack? I use a front carry sling most of the time but if im hiking I use my J107 dragonfly. If I were to get a new pack I would get the J107M that has the extra large scabbard.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the quick replies. I already have a Leica 1200 but have heard from some people who said that it wouldn't range out that far. I haven't used mine out to 1000 yds in any kind of weather but have only used it during my archery hunts. Please keep the comments coming. Also, does anyone use a spotting scope? I'm guessing the compact Leupold is the best.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Silver Member

1. What kind of rangefinder do you have that will consistently be accurate out to 1000 Yards? Swarvoski
2. Do you carry any sand bags in your pack? Rice bag
3. What kind of instrument do you carry to dope the wind? kestrel 3500
4. What kind of computer program do you use to determine your drop? Ipod touch bft
5. How do you carry your ammunition to protect it from getting damaged? butler creek sling with bullet holders
6. How do you carry your rife? Do you attach it to your pack? Eberlystock Gunslinger|| and I love this pack and the ipod touch with that soft ware.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

other than the leica crf 1600 and swaro laserguide your not gonna get much better than the crf 1200. I've ranged on deer to 1150 in good conditions, and 1300 on trees. All rangefinders will have difficulty reading in poor conditions (ie super bright out).
If you want more than what leica has to offer your gonna need to drop $2k for the rangfinder alone. And yes spotting scopes are very nice to have (i dont own one yet though).
Old 11-03-2010, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhip View Post
Guys,

1. What kind of rangefinder do you have that will consistently be accurate out to 1000 Yards? Leica 1200, I can use it on elk and deer to 1200yrds consistently, antelope 800-1000yrds.
2. Do you carry any sand bags in your pack? Pant leg full of air soft BB's, I use it for a rear bag and for setting my range finder on which will extend the range significantly.
3. What kind of instrument do you carry to dope the wind? Kestrel 3500, threw the cheap on in a draw and walked away!!! Upgrading to 4500 Bluetooth as Loadbase 3.0 is Kestrel ready!
4. What kind of computer program do you use to determine your drop? Loadbase 3.0 or Exbal on Dell Axim and back up range cards.
5. How do you carry your ammunition to protect it from getting damaged? One in the hole, two in the mag and six on a stock pack. I want my ammo at ambient temp so that's how they ride.
6. How do you carry your rife? Do you attach it to your pack? Carry it over my shoulder as it balances perfect, or lashed to my Badlands bag.

Jeff

Getting a Kestrel made a huge difference in the quality of my wind dope, wind is the single biggest hurdle to LR shooting after you get yourself under control and IMO not a place to save money!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"