Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Pursuit TV Show

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 10:52 AM
Silver Member

Re: Long Range Pursuit TV Show

watched the show and really enjoyed it.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cram View Post
I got to watch the show tonight. All it all it was pretty decent. The shot directly into the sun was a little hard to see but after I rewound it about 3 times I could just catch the bullet wash going out a. The cnc barrel set up was interesting. I'm still trying to figure out why the range rod was held in the tail stock though. I wish the best to both Aaron and Mike for putting together a long range tv show.

Kevin,

How do you hold the range rod?? This is a method that Gordy Gritters has developed ( he shows this method on his Grizzly dvd ) and has worked well for me, but I am open to any alternate method.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:56 PM
SPONSOR

I couldn't understand why it was held in the tailstock because most every tailstock is not dead on center of the spindle axis. I've adjusted and shimmed my tailstock so it's indicated dead nuts but if I remove the dead center, slide the tailstock back and forth then lock it back down even with the same torque spec. it's out a little. If your indicating off of the barels bore than the indicating rod should just be in the barrels bore not acted on by the tailstock. Maybe I'm missing something but it just doesn't make sense to me. I know there's a dozen different ways to chamber a barrel, not all of them are wrong, just different. As long as your getting good results in the end something must be working right.

I use PTG's indicating rods that have a removable pilot to fit the bore precisely. I hold the barrel in a fixture I built that has 8 brass capped set screws simliar to that of GTR's action blueprinting fixture. I'll put 2 .0001" indicators on the rod. One right where it comes out of the barrel and the other about 5" down the indicator rod. By manipulating the 8 screws I can dial the bore true to my spindles axis to within .0001" on both indicators. If I only used 1 indicator say right at the barrel and dial it in true, the barrel is not truly dialed in and can be in a cone with the point at where the barrel contacts the screws as the fulcrum point.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 12-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cram View Post
I couldn't understand why it was held in the tailstock because most every tailstock is not dead on center of the spindle axis. I've adjusted and shimmed my tailstock so it's indicated dead nuts but if I remove the dead center, slide the tailstock back and forth then lock it back down even with the same torque spec. it's out a little. If your indicating off of the barels bore than the indicating rod should just be in the barrels bore not acted on by the tailstock. Maybe I'm missing something but it just doesn't make sense to me. I know there's a dozen different ways to chamber a barrel, not all of them are wrong, just different. As long as your getting good results in the end something must be working right.

I use PTG's indicating rods that have a removable pilot to fit the bore precisely. I hold the barrel in a fixture I built that has 8 brass capped set screws simliar to that of GTR's action blueprinting fixture. I'll put 2 .0001" indicators on the rod. One right where it comes out of the barrel and the other about 5" down the indicator rod. By manipulating the 8 screws I can dial the bore true to my spindles axis to within .0001" on both indicators. If I only used 1 indicator say right at the barrel and dial it in true, the barrel is not truly dialed in and can be in a cone with the point at where the barrel contacts the screws as the fulcrum point.
Kevin, Next time we talk I will explain the 3 W's on that particular set-up.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:17 AM
Bronze Member

I talked with Aaron this sat. at the elk show in reno,he was very helpful and offered to upgrade my huskemaw to the nightforce for a very good price.I used the new range finder and handled two of his other rifles.All of the products are great.I do not get the channels that run the shows so i will have to get clips off the net,but if they are as good as the botw videos im sure they will be great.I have been using the lr1000 for a year and the rifle is aweaome.I wish the Davidsons all the luck in the world.Im sure the show will be great.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Bronze Member

I watch most all of the shows and take them for what they are worth. Some are very interesting and some are not. Some I watch because of the animals they hunt not because of the "celebrity or professinal" hunters that are on the show. Take them for what they are worth.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Silver Member

This just being my 2 cents, I have watched the 3 main shows, best of the west, long range pursuit and christiansen hunting show. I really like John Porter, he knows his stuff and some day I hope to be able to afford a hunt with him. John Mogle, well if you can't say anything nice then keep quiet so I will and Aaron and Mike with long rang pursuit, just can't get into it, Aaron may be a nice guy but sometimes it seems as he's talking down to everyone, one of the latest shows when they were hunting billy goats I was not impressed with their guide at all as he did not seem too happy about them wanting to go after the one they shot. I wish them the best of luck.
I would still rather watch these shows then be stuck watching Hannah Montana