Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Practice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Silver Member

Long Range Practice

This is a question for shooters in the northwest part of the country. Do you run into any problems with the local game wardens in your area if you are practicing long range shots on rocks and such, when it is not big game season? ie. accusations of poaching, disturbing wildlife or just general rules that target shooting is not allowed. thanks
Old 03-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long Range Practice

Never have had any problems of any kind no matter what time of the year it is. I never do frequent areas where elk and deer congregate in the spring due to snow keeping them down so my shooting would never bother any animals.

I have had an officer or two stop to see what I was doing and why there was so much "stuff" but that has always led to a good discussion of guns and hunting. I think the only real things they are concerned about is safety, roads close to line of fire or things of that nature that are covered by state laws.

I suppose there could be the one sour apple out there that might want to make an issue of something but so far I haven't run into him yet.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Gold Member

the question was aimed at the n.w. part of the country, but it is a country wide problem.

in pa. where i hunt, random shooting during the hunting season is ilegal. that means no rock buck shooting just because your bored. of coarse how would they prove what your doing, so it is hard to enforce.

the bigger problem there is pruning of branches. of coarse sometimes it goes further than branches. but again, its hard to enforce.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:51 PM
SPONSOR

Yobuck, you know we only hunt those spots were planes have crashed. It's the damndest thing, they always seem to land on a point just off the top and the FAA seem to clean up all the pieces rather quickly and never leave anything behind

You can also get a permit from DCNR to clean up the vistas.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 03-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

You can also get a permit from DCNR to clean up the vistas.

i've made a couple of vistas...now where did that permit get to?
Old 03-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Silver Member

I live in WA. The problem we are having is "This is a no target shooting area thing" weather it is posted or not. We now have to drive about 45min just to get a place to shoot. It is only about 20min to get to "public land" that should be open as they have some safe places to shoot. So I think we are having the problem you are referring to.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Gold Member

kevin cram.
your exactly right kevin, and it seems the ones with homolite engines crash more often.