Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Muzzleloader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2003, 11:37 PM

Re: Long Range Muzzleloader

ATH, How do you know if the sabot fails?
Old 12-11-2003, 03:14 PM

Just read on another site that some accuracy problems (flyers) with muzzleloaders may come from the 209 primers having so much flame that they move the bullet a little before the powder starts to burn. Remington 209-4 primers (for the 410 shot have about half the flame and are said to solve some of these accuracy problems. May be something to look into.

[ 12-11-2003: Message edited by: Harv ]
Old 12-12-2003, 07:36 AM
Gold Member

There are two basic symptoms of sabot failure. First, look at the gas sealing base of the fired sabot. If it is severely distorted, it probably blew through and greatly deteriorated your accuracy. Many times they will be very bulged out around the edges. Second, are all four petals there? If petals get ripped off, the sabot will not separate from the bullet in a consistent manner (ie if a petal rips the sabot may skew one direction and impact the bullet off-center).
Many people try to shoot their ML too fast in warm weather. Warm sabots fail more easily (at least I am told) so you want to keep the barrel cool.
As for the 209 primers, there is an extended section on this on the PRecision Rifle site I linked before. The guy there (Cecil Epp) is such a believer that he has a custom-modified gun that primes with .22 Hornet cases instead, and sells a modification for the T/C Encore to accomplish the same thing. Claims it tightened groups considerably. I'm a believer too from my experiences, but no such after-market mod available for my Traditions and I can't afford to upgrade.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:17 PM
Bronze Member

Now just in case this sounds stupid bare with me as I do not have an inline yet and know absolutely zero about them. I was wondering just for curiosity sake, what would happen if one were to take on of the sabots used to shoot .308 caliber bullets out of a .50BMG and use it in a .50 caliber muzzleloader? If they would stabilize a .30 caliber bullet, that would open up a bullet choice selection of huge proportions. I don't know what kind of twist rates are built in your inlines but I imagine a custom barrel could be built with a suitable twist. Could you use the .240 grain SMK with a b.c. of .711. That would be way higher than any muzzleloader bullet. They fly well at subsonic velocities out of my .300 whisper and I imagine they could be pushed quite fast out of an inline. What do you think? Am I all wet?
Old 12-12-2003, 02:41 PM

I have thought about this but don't think it will work. My understanding of how a muzzleloader sabot works is the base of the sabot is hollow and when the powder burns it expands the hollow base to fill the rifling. A 50/30 rifle sabot would probably be too large and very hard to push down the barrel when loading. If it would go down easy than it wouldn't spin when shot. If anyone has some of these sabots and would like to part with a few I would be happy to try them. Twist rates are 1 in 24 or slower so don't know if that will be fast enough.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:43 PM

Questions arent stupid. It's stupid not to ask.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:35 PM
Gold Member

I have shot the Sierras 300g 375 cal SBT with a sabet in my Peifer 1 in 24 with 80g of 777 the bullet was not stable.
Crow Mag