close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Muzzleloader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-01-2003, 09:13 PM
Gold Member

Re: Long Range Muzzleloader

Ian
I was wondering what the BC is on the bullet you were testing and are they available?
Crow Mag

Unread 12-01-2003, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Crowmag,
No idea what b.c. might be but the bullets are certainly available, both as Shockwaves from T/C and SST's from Hornady (same bullet, different packaging). Last week I was in a camp were several deer where shot with this bullet and it worked well, I saw one recovered bullet that was a perfect mushroom. Just got a note that the Shockwave is available in 200, 250 and 300 grains in .50 cal., nice sharp plastic point.
Unread 12-01-2003, 10:57 PM
Silver Member

DC,

That southern boy that shot that Gen.....was me and dangit it was 1500 yds. Please keep our stories straight!!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Remember he was scolding his troops for flinching at a snipers bullets and said he couldn't hit an elephant from that distance.
Then I shot that blue belly in the face.

Dang brother we need to work on our lies again [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Vern
Unread 12-01-2003, 11:14 PM

Be carefull when starting the SST/Shockwave. If the bullet slips off the starter it will leave a nice hole in your hand. Trust me! If you get them down on the powder they shoot very well.
Unread 12-01-2003, 11:47 PM
Gold Member

Ian
What is the bullet diameter and what would be the best bullet the 200g 250g or 300g for long range
Crow Mag
Unread 12-02-2003, 09:39 PM
Gold Member

Ian
I just got some of the SST in 300g and TC Shockwave in 250g nice looking bullet I will be testing them on Sunday with 777 powder. I not using the pellets what is a good starting load in grains I will be using a scale to weigh the powder what is a good starting load gun is Peifer custom will shoot with 150g equivalent 777 powder. I hope to test these bullets out to 500 yards [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Crow Mag
Unread 12-02-2003, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Crow,
I understand that the 250 is the optimum bullet weight for that caliber, particularly for deer hunting. Tell you the truth it is the only bullet I have used to date, have to get at the 200 and 300's soon.

Also strongly suggest that you do not weigh the powder, just use a volumetric measure and start at 120 grains. No sweat to go to 150 grains, some rifles shoot best there but only one way to find that out. I know of some incidents where guys got serious over-charges trying to weigh powder, no-one got hurt but a gun got shook loose (scope mounts) and the guy's shoulder looked like he had been hit by a truck. Dumb **** fired several shots, I believe the load was double what he should have been using.

Would also suggest using the 777 pellets, they are extremely uniform, you get the same charge every time you load. That is the real benefit of pellets, they are uniformly compressed so you get the same dollop of powder each charge. I find that 3 777 pellets usually shoots well in the guns we use (T/C and Knight mostly).

Hey, you got a Peifer... That is one fine in-line, was one of my favorites. Too bad it went titters.

Good luck, let us know when you knock over that buck at 500+!