Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Muzzleloader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2003, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Long Range Muzzleloader

Max,
I would not argue your point, no doubt if the big heavy and long bullet is launched properly it will carry a long distance accurately. Seems to me that the "art" of getting the most out of patched bullets might be dying, but I believe that you are correct that patched bullets (muzzleloaded) have the same potential.
I have a friend in Kansas City who participates in Schuetzen style competitions, those guys are VERY good shooters and keeping a tradition alive. Same would go for the shooters mentioned that build super-heavy benchrest style muzzleloaders, no doubt they are doing some stuff that would compete with centerfires. But unfortunately this has no relevance to the guy who just bought a blisterpacked Traditions from WallMart and who's going to participate in a muzzleloader season this year. Bottom line is that he is going hunting, and we sure as hell need more hunters in this world we live in, just to keep our sport going.
Harv,
We recovered a bunch of bullets, the T/C - Hornady was the best performing at long distnace, plus the most accurate.

I am going to shoot the T/C bullets out to 300 yards shortly to establish actual drops and wind drifts. Will use a large steel backdrop to try to catch all the shots, have a spot where I can change firing positions to fire in full and partial value winds. Will put a tactical scope on an Encore so I have lots of adjustment lattitude.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:14 AM

I have read about muzzle loader matches at camp perry. You could do a search for camp perry matches to see what distance they shoot. Also find out about equipment.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:11 PM

Looking forward to seeing your report on drops and wind drift, Ian. Am I correct in thinking the heavy bullets will do better at longer ranges? What bullet weight would do best at the 300 yard range?
h
Old 07-21-2003, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Harv,
I am shooting the 250 grain bullet primarily since this is the one they intend for long shooting. Will let you guys know how this shakes out.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:19 PM
Silver Member

Ian,

Your point is taken, but just for the hell of it... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I've been paper patching for cartridge guns for a couple of years. It is dirt simple in general terms and rather a shame more folks don't take advantage of its benefits.

As to "blister pack" technology...I have zilch for expereince with inlines and have never fired a sabot bullet. Perhaps the guns have potential, but the practice of using sabots w/ pistol bullets insures that it is a short range proposition. I'm guessing here but think that nowhere in the instructions is it written that regular ML bullets in the blister pack inlines is verbotten. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Happiness in a .50 would begin at 500 grains or heavier IMO. I'd probably not be using 3 Pyrodex pellets to start with. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Take care.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Max,
Fact is I have never heard of anyone shooting big long bullets in an in-line much, except for the big 520 grain Black Belts that I tested a few years back. I believe that you are correct because those big slugs were very accurate and at 200 yards they about equaled the short stubby 295 Black Belt in velocity. I set my chronographs downrange and shot till I caught some bullets for velocities. Kicked like a mule, believe I only shot 100 grains of Pyrodex during that testing. Rifle was a Knight Wolveriine which is a light model.

I still have a bunch of the 520's, if I can find some time I will try them at longer distances - could be good rock plinkers.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:37 PM

I have an T/C Encore Muzzle loader and a 5x15 Bushnell 3200 Elite...Three 50 gr pyrodex pellets behind 240 grain XTP bullet and it shoots one minute groups at 200 yards. I have shot it out to 300 on steel silouettes and it is deadly accurate.The farthest kill I made was 180 yards on a Whitetail Doe. I would be quite comfortable shooting it 250 yards at deer...I think for really long range a larger bullet than 240 grain might do a better job? [img]www.nexicom.net/~yorky/tommycool.jpg[/img]