Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Muzzleloader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2003, 08:48 PM

Long Range Muzzleloader

How many of you guys hunt/shoot with a muzzleloader? I am trying to push the range of my muzzleloader and am having a hard time finding info/help on this topic. Some of the newer inline's can toss a chunk of lead very accuratly and quickly so target distences are getting longer. I would like to know what others are doing to get some ideas on how to extend my range. Thanks.
h
Old 07-16-2003, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long Range Muzzleloader

So happens I was down in Texas a while back doing just that - testing muzzleloader bullets at long range. There is a new bullet coming out from Hornady and T/C that is intended to extend the range of a good shooting in-line. How far depends on the shooter, how much he has practiced to become confident with his rifle and load. We made kills on wild hogs at 250 and 300 yards during the tests.
We were shooting T/C Encores with 6-24 Swarovski scopes loaded with three of the new Triple Seven pellets (150 grains) and the new 250 grain bullet. The rifle is a very good one, but the Swarovski scopes made the difference as they had TDS reticles which gave us nice holdover reference points.
With practice the in-line can be accurate and lethal out past 300 but there are an awful lot of variables. I have made kills well past that distance, but only because I was prepared, plus that was the only shot available.
In reality the in-line action is not what makes such accuracy possible. In-lines are designed for scope sights. The scope is the bottom line, put a 6-24 Swarovski on a new T/C sidehammer, load it with the same powder charge and bullet and it will do the same provided the Hawkins happened to have a 28 twist barrel. Maybe even better because the Hawkens usually has a long barrel and might give slightly better velocity. The type of action and ignition system does not have the impact on base accuracy and velocity that most people assume.
Having said that, getting in close is the best way to place a lethal shot with a muzzleloader. You only get one shot, closer you are the more accurate it hits. That is true for all hunting, but long distance presents another challenge that we are interested in.
Not sure how into muzzleloading you are. One good tip is to always swab after every shot. Naturally this is impossible in most hunting situations but it is very important for best accuracy on the range.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:32 AM
Bronze Member

Hello fellas, I'm just getting into the muzzleloader hunting. My hunting buddy hunts groundhogs with his Encore & will go out to at least 250yds. Ian M you said it doesn't matter about the action but is their one that is usually more accurate. I'm trying to decide between the Knight Disc Extreme & that new Optima Pro. but can't find out accuracy info on either one. Any suggestions? Thanx, later, Ceejack2
Old 07-17-2003, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member

I've been told there is a group of avid Muzzle loader shooters that have 1000 yard matches. They hold them out west somewhere.

I believe that Hank Williams Jr. (singer on Monday Night Football) is one of them. He has a ranch and does a lot of Longrange shooting with the ML. I was told he holds matches on his ranch for his friends?

An Attorney in Williamsport is a Longrange ML shooter also. He has mentioned shooting 1000 yards.

A northern General was killed by a southern sniper at 1000 yards.
I held the rifle 25 years ago that did this feat. All paperwork was with the rifle and docmented by the US Government.
A movie was done about it also.

DC
Old 07-17-2003, 08:37 AM
Silver Member

I met a fellow who lives down the road a few miles from me a couple of years ago who shoots 1000 yard matches with Muzzle loaders.

He builds a lot of his own stuff and has some really beautiful rifles.

I think there is a group that meets somewhere over around Tombstone for their matches.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:36 AM

Good to see there are some other ML hunters here. I got my ML 3 years ago. It is a Traditions inline .50 cal 1:32 twist 22 inch barrel. Bushnell 3-9 (off my 270 when I upgraded). 209 shotgun primers. Have shot many different sabot bullets over a few different powders (clear shot, clean shot, pyrodex, 777) pellets and powder. Always looking for tighter groups. Have had the odd group under 1 inch at 100 yards. Usually keep them under 1.5 inch. I want to try the new Hornady SST with 100-150g of 777. Was this the bullet you were testing Ian? What weight of bullet works best at 200-300 yards? My longest kill was just under 200 yards. 240g Hornady XTP bullet on 2-50g pyrodex pellets. Hit a rib on the way in, both lungs, and stopped against the hide on the way out. The bullet was almost good enough to shoot again. Looking for something that opens up a bit better.
If there is enough interest in Long Range Muzzleloading mabe Len could open a forum for this topic.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

I usually end up hunting elk with muzzle loader.
I am not sure about long range hunting with muzzle guns. The idea would really take some getting used to for me. I am kind of an old school, Hawken style black powder hunter. These new souped up in-lines are far from the "primitive weapon" I prefer in September.
On the other hand if it is about pushing some boundaries, killing some varmints in a more challenging way and learning more about accuracy, then I guess I am all for that.