Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long range misses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Bronze Member

Long range misses

I love to hear great success storys but would also be very intrested to hear about some misses and why they happened .I missed a nice buck last year due to a ranging error .I rushed my shot preperation because i didnt have much time and only did one ping with my rangefinder put i my scope clicks and luckily clean missed .
I couldnt understand it untill i ranged it again and had been 78 yards out on my initial range.Now i always range 4 times and never rush anymore .I learnt the hard way but was lucky not to wound an animal.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Gold Member

Re: Long range misses

I've never missed a long range shot. I think it's because I put way more thought and preparation into them than close ones. I've missed some close ones for stupid reasons that. If I would have treated them like long range shots they would have been cake. I also am not out there to set any records. I have the long range capability in my bag if I need it, but if I get them close so much the better. Pushing the limits is for the range, living game animals deserve better. If I'm "pretty" comfortable with my gun to 1000 yards, I limit myself to 800 on game -- where I'm "very" comfortable.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:37 PM
SPONSOR

I've never missed a long range shot either I've killed hundreds if not thousands of game animals from 10 feet to 5 miles.

Believe that line of **** and I'll sell you some heat seeking, around the corner shooting, explode on impact, salt filled for preservation, solid stainless steel bullets. Hurry, I only have 1 box left, ATH is cornering the market!!

If you've never missed a long range shot you've either never shot long range there for you can say you never missed a long range shot, or your so full of **** your eyes are turning brown. Get out for boots its getting deep in here

www.mcrifles.com
Old 04-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Gold Member

I will be the first to admit i have missed deer at 50 yards. Why i don't know, but i have killed a lot of game over the years that i wont discuss. My range is 350 yards, i have some nice guns but never got the fine line skills of shooting 500 and so on. I really have the interest now and kicking around a nice scope such as night force. Just purchaesd a Leica 1200 range finder and hoping to get in to some longer rande shooting over the summer. Most of my hunting is in sw Pa. where there isnt even many fields 500+.
Mike
Old 04-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

As per my post "Longest shots ever", I missed alot of groundhogs at 200 to 300 yards all last year. Mine was a lack of confidence in my doping and one was due to turning my turret the wrong way. Shot underneath the little booger. Not to mention I kept playing with load development and not settling on one bullet and one powder.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 04-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cram View Post
I've never missed a long range shot either I've killed hundreds if not thousands of game animals from 10 feet to 5 miles.

Believe that line of **** and I'll sell you some heat seeking, around the corner shooting, explode on impact, salt filled for preservation, solid stainless steel bullets. Hurry, I only have 1 box left, ATH is cornering the market!!

If you've never missed a long range shot you've either never shot long range there for you can say you never missed a long range shot, or your so full of **** your eyes are turning brown. Get out for boots its getting deep in here
Damn Kevin !!!

Why don't you just say what you think, instead of beating around the bush.

And I want some of those bullets. ( Maybe they will help )

I never rush a long shot and don't take it unless I feel good about the chances of a one shot
kill but some times it still happens ( A clean miss ).

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-25-2009, 10:07 PM
SPONSOR

I don't mean to be too cruel, just poking some fun at ATH. If you have read many of his previous posts you'll know exactly what I mean. Please don't take it to heart.

But we all miss...

www.mcrifles.com