Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

long range load data 300 WSM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 10:47 PM

long range load data 300 WSM

I am having one of my 300 WSM rifles worked on. I am cutting the barrel to 19", having it ported and a flash shield added to protect the crown. In addition to this a trigger job and I am in the process of finding a stock. The rifle shoots better than 1 in now and I hope with the crown and trigger I will be able to do better than that. I want to use this to shoot long range target as well as hunting. I purchased some Barnes triple shock 180 gr and Nosler AccuBond 180gr. I load for several calibers and was wondering if anyone shoots this caliber in the group or has knowledge of the performance at long range by this caliber. I would like to have some loading data if you have any to share as the cost of working up loads is getting higher every day. Thanks in advance for your time and sharing. Dave
Old 01-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: long range load data 300 WSM

Why are you cutting the barrel so short?
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

my same question.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:17 AM

I am cutting the barrel to reduce weight and to stiffen the whip. I am also adding the flash compensator back which will set the overall to about 21".
Old 01-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

Why not try a 24"-28" medium sporter barrel. Then use a harmonic balancer made by limbsaver. It is a rubber coupling that slides on to the barrel. I am just conserned that with a barrel that short and trying to shoot to any degree of accuracy at a long distance, you just won't have what you are looking for. You would be good out to about 800yrds, but then you are going to run out of steam. You would have to use fast burning powders and a med. weight bullet for efficient burn. Shortening up the barrel for a magnum caliber really reduced the muzzle velocity.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

Dave, I have to agree with the others. Shortening barrels is the opposite of what you want to do fo LR shooting. You wil loose a lot of velocity going down to 19". I have a Sako 300 WSM and it has a 24" barrel. When that barrel is shot out, I'll replace it with a 26" #6 flutted.

As for load info, I have used 65.5 - 66 gr of H4350 for max loads in my rifle with 168 TTSX's and 180 E-Tips. You might try some RL-17 as it is suppoed to produce higher velocities with lower pressures. So far from what I've read, it has given mixed results with great performance for some and average for others. Also, check out reloadersnest.com. They have a lot of recipes for the 300 WSM.

Good shooting,

Mark
Old 01-21-2009, 07:57 PM

This evening after reading your replies I called Weatherby tech servic and asked them their advice and opinion. They concluded that I would lose 35 fps per inch when the barrel is cut and would sufficiently hurt the perfomance at the extreme distances. They suggested fluting and a composite stock to reduce weight and just port and crown the barrel. That along with the trigger job should put me in the ballpark. I guess it pays to ask opinions and information from people who have been there done that. Thanks guys and I get back with the results.