Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

long range killing power of 260 rem, 6.5x55 swede...???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Bronze Member

long range killing power of 260 rem, 6.5x55 swede...???

I was just reading information pages on the 260 rem. and the 6.5x55 swede, on the ballistic studies (Terminal Ballistics Research) website. I am reading as much as I can about these two cartridges, since I am seriously contemplating either of these rounds for a long-range pronghorn, whitetail/muley rifle. In the articles I read, regarding each round, the author (name was not given) stated that each of these 6.5 rounds gave poor killing power beyond 200-250 yards. He actually stated that their "killing power" was much closer to that of the 30-30, instead of the 270 win., for which they are often compared to.

All I have read regarding these two rounds, up to this point, indicates that the 260, the swede, and the other 6.5s are deadly out to 600 yards (and beyond) within proper situations.

My question is...........what am I supposed to believe? I have just become confused!!

Help!
Old 11-03-2011, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

Re: long range killing power of 260 rem, 6.5x55 swede...???

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleythumper View Post
I was just reading information pages on the 260 rem. and the 6.5x55 swede, on the ballistic studies (Terminal Ballistics Research) website. I am reading as much as I can about these two cartridges, since I am seriously contemplating either of these rounds for a long-range pronghorn, whitetail/muley rifle. In the articles I read, regarding each round, the author (name was not given) stated that each of these 6.5 rounds gave poor killing power beyond 200-250 yards. He actually stated that their "killing power" was much closer to that of the 30-30, instead of the 270 win., for which they are often compared to.

All I have read regarding these two rounds, up to this point, indicates that the 260, the swede, and the other 6.5s are deadly out to 600 yards (and beyond) within proper situations.

My question is...........what am I supposed to believe? I have just become confused!!

Help!
Considering the swede has been killing elk and moose sized game along with European Wild Boar since it was first invented I wouldn't put a hell of a lot of stock in the articles that declare these two as lacking killing power.

I probably won't be shooting any big hogs at very long ranges with the .260 but out to 600yds I won't hesitate.

Shot placement and bullet selection I think are far more important factors than massive amounts of energy.

You need enough energy for the shot to pass through the body. As long as you have that, with the proper bullet and placement of same you have a dead animal.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Considering the swede has been killing elk and moose sized game along with European Wild Boar since it was first invented I wouldn't put a hell of a lot of stock in the articles that declare these two as lacking killing power.

I probably won't be shooting any big hogs at very long ranges with the .260 but out to 600yds I won't hesitate.

Shot placement and bullet selection I think are far more important factors than massive amounts of energy.

You need enough energy for the shot to pass through the body. As long as you have that, with the proper bullet and placement of same you have a dead animal.

I agree completely!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Platinum Member

muleythumper: I cant speak for the 6.5 Swede round because I dont have one and havent shot one in close to 40 years...but I do have a .260 and wouldnt be afraid of cutting into a deer at 500-600 yards if I knew I could have a clean shot.

Last edited by Sully2; 11-03-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

With either round I would be afraid to take deer to 800yds. Depending on elevation you could probably go farther. I was really intrigued with the 6.5x55 AI version. It's petty impressive.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
With either round I would be afraid to take deer to 800yds. Depending on elevation you could probably go farther. I was really intrigued with the 6.5x55 AI version. It's petty impressive.

Tank

WOULD...or WOULD NOT..???
Old 11-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
WOULD...or WOULD NOT..???
Good catch! I wouldn't be afraid to shoot to 800yds on a deer. I plan to do it with my .308 if I have too. My limit with my .308 I've determined due to drop to around 830yds. Can't wait. Hope a deer offers me the opportunity. 6.5 is a deadly round to a lot farther than most people are willing to give them credit for.

I should add, who ever wrote the article may have been using older factory ammo. Due to the old actions that are still in circulation, ammunition companies have loaded down the ammo really handicapping its ability to be truly good ammo. With new actions you can load much better bullets at high charge weights that work and perform far better than the old ammo in circulation. Most of that stuff is old military surplus. I know with Lapua brass in 6.5x55, you could make a deadly round to 1000yds. Realistically, the 6.5x55 Swede can be loaded faster with heavier rounds than the 260.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!