Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Incline and Declined Angle Shots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Long Range Incline and Declined Angle Shots

This is my steepest shot. 702 yards near 45 degrees. Notice the tripod under the rear stock......

Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

Great photos Buffalo and Michael!!

45 degrees around here will get you about 25 yards to the bottom of the arroyo.

thanks for sharing!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

On Long Range Pursuit tonight, Aaron Davidson gave some shooting tips for "Fisting your Incline". It sounds pretty easy and might be worth the practice in case all of your instruments break down.

I'm not sure I can describe it adequately, but you essentially make a fist and hold it out horizontal. The bottom of your fist is essentially 5 degrees down. Rotate your fist down one time and you're at 10 degrees. Rotate back the other way heading down once more makes 15 degrees and so forth.

Once you have a good guestimate of the incline/decline, you can apply the rules that others have discussed above in order to compensate.

Not sure if anyone above mentioned it. But, you shoot to the adjusted distance as pertains to trajectory/elevation. And, you hold for wind for the full distance of the shot.

...better than a stick in the eye
Old 11-02-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA48 View Post
I need a little help from you angle shooters out there. I have been playing around with my 338 edge for a while now out to 1,965 yds on a regular basis and still have a lot of learning to do. I understand the effects of weather conditions, spin drift, and the lesser effects from Coriolis, ect... But all of my shooting has been from for the most part level ground. I may have a new shooting spot but there is going to be a lot of inclined angle shots. So how does this work figuring in with your regular drop. Do you get your angle while your aimed at your target before adjusting for drop with something like a protractor with a level. Then get the cosine for that angle and times it by the ranged distance to get your new distance or am I way off here?
I have been trying to get an answer on this subject as well. there is so much miss information out there it isn't funny. You should read Arther Pejsa' book Modern practical Ballistics with a short chapter on uphill/down hill shooting . He explains that the bullet is effected by gravity by time in flight not horizontal distance. that myth has been around for a long time. Cos of the angle doesn't work perfectly eather especialy for the ranges you are talking about. for example if I shoot 800 yds at 30 degrees figure out the cos of 30 at 800 which would be 693yds dial your scope and shoot, based on Pejsa ballistic program you would hit 9.8 inches low with my atmospheric conditions that I entered- that is unacceptable erorr . that is why I wont use cos past 400yds . rememder the bullet is falling faster and faster the longer it is in the air plus the bullet is going slower and slower compound the two and you need to do a lot of math to accuratly figure things out. I would be glad to run some data for you with Pejsa' program.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse2960 View Post
[...]He explains that the bullet is effected by gravity by time in flight not horizontal distance. that myth has been around for a long time.
It's not a myth. It's simply a matter of perspective and which variable is easiest to key in on for determining an acceptable shooting solution in the field.

Sometimes a yard stick works and sometimes you need a micrometer.

The better choice is the one that gets the job done. Not necessarily the one with the best precision.

Even you implied that you would use cos out to 400yds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse2960 View Post
[...] rememder the bullet is falling faster and faster the longer it is in the air plus the bullet is going slower and slower compound the two and you need to do a lot of math to accuratly figure things out. [...]
It seems like you just contradicted Pejsa and Newton. The bullet falls at the same rate through the entire flight path... 9.80 m/s^2. It simply covers less terrain as the forward velocity decreases.

You can twist things around by firing straight up and the bullet isn't falling at all for about half of its journey. Then, it falls at an increasing rate until it reaches terminal velocity and doesn't fall any faster.

All of the banter is useless for hunters if there's no practical application.

-- richard
Old 11-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The bullet falls at the same rate through the entire flight path... 9.80 m/s^2.
What does "rate" mean. A bullet has velocity and it has acceleration. You quote an acceleration which means the first derivative i.e velocity, is a variable.

Quote:
All of the banter is useless for hunters if there's no practical application.
You should buy Brain Litz's book and read it.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
What does "rate" mean. A bullet has velocity and it has acceleration. You quote an acceleration which means the first derivative i.e velocity, is a variable.

You should buy Brain Litz's book and read it.
Bob,

You're right. Reading the book is far more productive than stirring the pot here.

Either way, I have no problem with a rule of thumb or oversimplification that yeilds good results. One just needs to keep in mind the limitations.

thanks!
richard