Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Hunting-Video (Shawn Carlock, Defensive Edge)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Sponsor

30-338

Your on the right track. cos x dope for uncorrected distance has less margin of error than the cos x distance then getting the dope for corrected distance. Neither one is correct, they are better than nothing and either will work if the distance is a. close or b. a slight angle however after much field testing with multiple rifle the Exbal program wins hands down with cos x dope for uncorrected distance running a distant second. My whole point the up/downhill corrections was to carry a drop sheet generated by an accurate ballistics program because applying the cosine is not as accurate for long distances and / or steep angles. The NF Exbal program takes into account several factors to get the right dope and direct application of cos. does not, like the time of flight staying the same despite the gravity distance changing, angle of departure blah, blah, blah.
So at big distance application of cos just is not accurate enough for me. Sorry if that did not come across clear enough. If you have any other questions drop me a line.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 03-16-2008, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Shawn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Carlock View Post
30-338

Your on the right track. cos x dope for uncorrected distance has less margin of error than the cos x distance then getting the dope for corrected distance. Neither one is correct, they are better than nothing and either will work if the distance is a. close or b. a slight angle however after much field testing with multiple rifle the Exbal program wins hands down with cos x dope for uncorrected distance running a distant second. My whole point the up/downhill corrections was to carry a drop sheet generated by an accurate ballistics program because applying the cosine is not as accurate for long distances and / or steep angles. The NF Exbal program takes into account several factors to get the right dope and direct application of cos. does not, like the time of flight staying the same despite the gravity distance changing, angle of departure blah, blah, blah.
So at big distance application of cos just is not accurate enough for me. Sorry if that did not come across clear enough. If you have any other questions drop me a line.
I appreciate your time and knowledge. I had no idea that my previous method of using the triangle was so bad..Anyway I will drop you a line and if you have time I hope you will consider my issues further Thanks...Love the video!!!! 30-338
Man, I really need to buy the Exbal software!!!
και ο μη εχων πωλησατω το ιματιον αυτου και αγορασατω μαχαιραν... Luke 22:36
Jesus said "...and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one" Luke 22:36

Jack Webb lectures the Prez http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4r6YCUtxfs

How to pray for the man in the White House
Psalm 109:5 http://bible.cc/psalms/109-8.htm
Old 03-18-2008, 02:06 PM
SPONSOR

I sent my order off a day or two ago. With Kirby endorsing it and Shawn making the video I figured I couldn't lose. Judging by all the positive feedback on this thread it appears I'm right. Can't wait to get it!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Silver Member

Order in via email....Kind Regards..David
Lowcountrywildlifemanagement@gmail.com
Genesis 9;2
Old 03-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Gold Member

Check is in the mail, can't wait to get it!

Brian

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
RMEF Member
Old 03-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Silver Member

Got it!!

Shawn, Great Video! I've only got one problem,gonna cost me more money for some more X-Tras! Many Thanks, Scott
Old 03-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Silver Member

Yep, checks in the mail! Can't wait!

Come on out to MT and film my 1500 yd antelope shot this fall with my 338 AM.

Thanks!