Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Hunting-Video (Shawn Carlock, Defensive Edge)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglet View Post
Alright guys, thanks for ignoring me; I guess it was stupid what I asked.
Nah, yur not stupid. At least I haven't heard any rumors to that affect.

I'm going to watch it on a super big screen. Maybe I'll notice some things then.

One of my problems, when glassing and watching videos, is that I focus way too much on what I expect to see, or what is being pointed out, as in the brake, and don't notice things that I don't expect.

I guess this is to say if I'm glassing for a body part of an elk, an elephant could walk through the field of view and I wouldn't even notice it.

One thing I noticed that I am pretty good at is time the impact. I was able to press stop to see initial impact on all but one of the shots. However, I got so big headed I wasn't able to repeat it to that degree of success again.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Roy,

I feel much better now! Thanks buddy!!!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 03-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Silver Member

Thanks

Shawn,
Thanks for such a quick turn around! I watched as soon as I got home. Learned alot and now have more stuff I need to get. My wife hates you now.

Eaglet-
I saw the same thing. I could not tell if it was a tick or a little spider!

Willys46
Old 03-16-2008, 08:28 AM
Sponsor

"My wife hates you now". I get that alot.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 03-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Silver Member

What am I missing here???

Shawn...I have been puzzling over this cos. X dope issue as an alternate to cos. x distance and I am stumped. I have to be missing something here! Here is my problem...You state that there are 3 alternatives to figure the correct distance for angle shooting. We know the flat line ( base of the right triangle ) formula. And no doubt the Exbal software is most exact, but I cannot make this 3rd alternative work. I watched the video several more times to see if I was misunderstanding what you meant by applying the cosine to the "dope". And I think you are saying that you multiply the cosine with the uncorrected MOA figure off your chart at lasered distance to get the corrected MOA. In the video you use a 45 degree angle and a cosine of .71 and a distanceof 600 yards and you say that even at this range you get a discrepancy of nearly 2 MOA...I tried doing some calcs here using Sierra software. I used an angle of 60 degrees at a distance of 1000 yards and a 300 SMK @ 2800 FPS. I chose the cosine based on the 60 degrees for the sake of simplicity ...a cosine of .5...So here is what I get
1)(Cosine x distance) .5 x 1000yds = 500 yds. or a drop of 8.8 MOA(100 yd zero) versus
2)(Cosine x dope) .5 x 25.2 MOA (the drop @ 1000yds in MOA) =12.6 MOA

That is quite a difference i.e. 3.8 MOA @ 1000yards or 39.78 inches
And it just gets worse the farther out you go...Here is what I think is happening...If we multiply the cos. x dope vs. the cos. x yards we are multiplying along 2 different scales...the yardage is arithmetic and the dope is hyperbolic ( or not a true parabola....I "think" this is the correct term...not sure though...) because it reflects the increasing curve of the bullet flight as it slows...So the farther out you go, the greater will be the discrepancy between the two methods....What am I doing wrong here? I am not the best math person so I am open to correction as I often make mistakes...but I need your input as to whether I am interpretting your "cos.x dope" formula correctly or whether I have miscalculated something...It appears though , that the cos. x dope method is of limited use and at fairly close ranges.............Thanks for your video. I am getting a lot out of it.....please advise as to the cos. x dope issue...Respectfully 30-338
και ο μη εχων πωλησατω το ιματιον αυτου και αγορασατω μαχαιραν... Luke 22:36
Jesus said "...and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one" Luke 22:36

Jack Webb lectures the Prez http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4r6YCUtxfs

How to pray for the man in the White House
Psalm 109:5 http://bible.cc/psalms/109-8.htm
Old 03-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

30-338,

This may help: Quote from snipertool.com

Quote:
How does it work? One of three ways, but simple..
a. The most accurate method is to input the cosine number into your ballistic software; i.e. Exbal Ballistic Targeting Software or Field Firing Solutions, that runs on either your home PC, Pocket PC or Palm Pilot. This is because the software takes into account the trigonomics of the fact that the bullet will still travel the full distance to target, and maintain a similar time of flight.
b. Method #2, is to multiply the cosine number to your MILRAD or MOA hold for your distance to target as indicated on your data card. For example, if your moa hold for 600 yards is 11 moa, and .87 is indicated by the ACI, you would then multiply .87 X 11moa, and obtain a corrected for gravity distance of 9.57 moa. This is fairly accurate, (Caliber Specific) although not as accurate as utilizing ballistic software. This is called the "Improved Rifleman Method."
c. Method #3, is to multiply the cosine number to your sloped distance. This will deliver the flat line distance to target, or what we call the bottom leg of the triangle.
If you experiment with your ballistic software, you will find that there can be as much as eight (8) MOA difference between method #1 and method #3. Method #1 is the most accurate & preferred method.
Now, adjust the sight elevation knob (come-ups) on your scope, for the "corrected range".

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 03-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Silver Member

Shawn, I'm gonna call you in the AM to order mine.Can't wait.