Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

long range hunting in Utah

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 12:07 AM

long range hunting in Utah

is it legal to shoot across a road while big game hunting in Utah, providing the trajectory is high enough to be safe?
Old 02-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: long range hunting in Utah

What's high enough from your perspective to be safe may be different from the fella writing you the ticket. Of course your referring to a road with real traffic right?

I think I would pass on that!

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 02-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Silver Member

In my humble opinion, unless you are familiar with the territory you are hunting in and the laws of the state, you can be setting yourself up for trouble.

In some states a "road" may mean a paved, or graded and maintained road, while a simple, unmaintained dirt road may be considerd a trail. Compound this with the inability, in most cases, to be able to see if there is a road crossing the bullet's path when shooting at long distance...

Best thing to do is to check and become familiar with state laws and become familiar with the area you are hunting.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

I know in PA you have to clear a road way by 50ft in order to be legal.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Bronze Member

Legal or not I would advise not to shoot over roads. I used to shoot at targets out to 1000 yards parrallel to an ATV trail. When it got to the hill my targets were on it went around the base and on forever. One day when I finished sending my last round down range two guys on dirt bikes came over the hill. It was a real eye opener for me. I talked to them when they came down the road and they never new I was shooting. Those are the kind of conditions that make for a "Freak Accident" that gets plastered all over the news.
Fed 210M
Nosler Case
Old 02-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

I always sit on a hill top or mountain top and shoot into a hillside or field that I have full view. I know the terrain pretty well and look for any vehicles parked near the woods, or roads leading into the woods. That is pretty much an indication someone is in there and a no go for hunting. Situational awareness is key in these shooting conditions. Anybody in the military will tell you the same thing. Scope the area before even thinking about pulling the trigger. I won't shoot up hill on a blind hill top either.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Gold Member

I guess I take a pretty conservative approach to this question. No matter what State you are in weather it be legal or not legal is not the question in my opinion - IS IT ETHICAL? We as hunters have enough negative press that I don't feel we need to bring anything more onto ourselves.
A typical case in point is the guy in Colo. that crawled into a den and killed a new State record bear - it was legal by law - In a matter of months Colo. has a new bear den law. Like it or not, disagree with it or not, John Q. Public's opinion is in the majority and we as hunters are in the minority.