Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long range Hunting Scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 07:26 AM

Long range Hunting Scopes

Hello guys....My name is Bobby and been deer hunting most of my life ....I boe hunt and still hunt on public and private land......this past week I watched a beautiful 8 pointer at about 300 yards out but shooting a 30-30 and not being able to see the deer in my scope due to it being to small in the reticle has made me buy a new gun....I just bought a 7mm Rem Ultra Mag and need some advice on the perfect scope and ammunition for it.....I just got on a deer lease in the marsh where its common to see deer from 50 yrds away up to 500 yards away through binoculars.....I dont have the best eyes and need a scope that will help me with long distance clarity and still allow for close range shots....We are an 8 point and better club so I need to be sure of my target...I have did a bit of reading on this sight this weekend and it seems to me that a swarky and zeis or to good models of scopes any help would be greatly appreciated......thanks......

Bobby

Last edited by bowhunter7274; 10-24-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:29 AM

Re: Long range Hunting Scopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter7274 View Post
I just bought a 7mm Rem Ultra Mag and need some advice on the perfect scope and ammunition for it.....I am on a deer lease where its common to see deer from 50 yrds away up to 500 yards away.....I dont have the best eyes and need a scope that will help me with long distance clarity and still allow for close range shots....We are an 8 point and better club so I need to be sure of my target....thanks......

Bobby
Also I am willing to pay up around $700 or so....
Old 10-24-2011, 07:33 AM
Silver Member

Here a thread to read this will hopefully give you some better insight my choice is the sightron iii but do some searches so you can make an educated decision.
What is a poor man's Night Force?

What is a poor man's Night Force?

http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-fort...colorado-CO109
Old 10-24-2011, 07:39 AM

thank .......you...I will read
Old 10-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member

There are a huge number of scopes that will fit your needs and your price range.

I've shot deer sized game considerably farther (successfully) with both the Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 and Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x50mm.

You can find both of those used at under 700.00 frequently if you shop around.

You can occasionally find both the conquest 4.5-14x44 and Leupold 4.5-14x50 in that price range as well used if you are patient.

Remember when you get a scope the first thing you do is mount it up, then mount the rifle and get set like you were going to shoot.

Close your firing eye for about five or ten seconds and then focus on nothing but the crosshair. If it is not perfectly clear, use the scopes eye piece focus and adjust it until you can do the former and have it perfectly in focus when you open your eye and look at it.

Then move on to looking at objects down range and if your scope has a parallax/focus adjust ment adjust there to get perfectly focused.

If you don't have the eye piece properly focused though the best scopes in the world are not going to help your eyes.

I just looked on Ebay and there are a number of the above scopes listed at prices you can afford, some considerably less.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter7274 View Post
We are an 8 point and better club so I need to be sure of my target...
Bobby
This is a job for a good binocular and or spotting scope, not a rifle scope. Don't want to irritate anyone and I'm not making accusations or anything but I've had a rifle pointed at me more than once by someone using the scope for a bino.

Bob
Old 10-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Gold Member

Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 would be perfect.