Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long Range Hunting Rifle Opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 10:22 PM

Long Range Hunting Rifle Opinions

I am new to Long Range Precision shooting and preparing to purchase a new setup. I am thinking of a Savage 110FCP HS PRECISION 300WIN topped with a Huskemaw Blue Diamond 5-20 Scope with Custom Turrets.

I want a rifle capable of hunting bull elk out to 1,000 yards. Please let me know what you think.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Long Range Hunting Rifle Opinions

Nothing wrong with that rig and caliber, but practice, practice, pracitce. Have you shot an elk at 300yds or closer?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 AM

Yes, I have shot several animals ranging from 100 out to 647 yards being my furthest. I am a veteran police officer and shoot 1000 to 5000 rounds a month depending on the time of year.
I am building a range capable of shots out to 2000 yards so practicing will depend on budgeting for ammo.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Silver Member

Motor622

That looks to be a quality rig with some long range capability. Id rather it had a 26 inch barrel and a muzzle break but it will do for a start. With the right bullet it will get to 1,000 yards with enough velocity to mushroom and enough energy to take down an elk. I have a Savage 260 Rem LRP with the HS Precision stock and it is a shooter. When Im up for a challenge I try to hit golf balls at 800 yards. It is great practice but hard to do even with a tack driver. Elk seem pretty big after that which of course is the whole point. Another nice feature is the barrel swapability of a Savage.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:27 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor622 View Post
Yes, I have shot several animals ranging from 100 out to 647 yards being my furthest. I am a veteran police officer and shoot 1000 to 5000 rounds a month depending on the time of year.
I am building a range capable of shots out to 2000 yards so practicing will depend on budgeting for ammo.
Roger that. I would say you are off to a good start or way ahead of the game, and I'm a big fan of the 300 win mag for hunting purposes. I used to have my my own multi-thousand yard range. It was a dream, but I've adjusted and find myself behind the pistol a lot this year. I'm working on residency in a new state and won't be able to hunt elk until next year. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Roger that. I would say you are off to a good start or way ahead of the game, and I'm a big fan of the 300 win mag for hunting purposes. I used to have my my own multi-thousand yard range. It was a dream, but I've adjusted and find myself behind the pistol a lot this year. I'm working on residency in a new state and won't be able to hunt elk until next year. Good luck.
Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it, being a veteran cop most of my shooting is pistol obviously because it is our side arm carry and first defense alternative. That being said, I have always been a believer that the pistol was made to fight your way to a long gun or carbine to finish the fight.

I am a Firearms Master Instructor for our agency so I am fortunate enough to have the ability to shoot as much as I want, this includes the Colt AR15, and Remmington 870.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:55 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineering101 View Post
Motor622

That looks to be a quality rig with some long range capability. Id rather it had a 26 inch barrel and a muzzle break but it will do for a start. With the right bullet it will get to 1,000 yards with enough velocity to mushroom and enough energy to take down an elk. I have a Savage 260 Rem LRP with the HS Precision stock and it is a shooter. When Im up for a challenge I try to hit golf balls at 800 yards. It is great practice but hard to do even with a tack driver. Elk seem pretty big after that which of course is the whole point. Another nice feature is the barrel swapability of a Savage.
Not trying to hijack but what are you using for a load Engineering 101 i have one and i am running rem brass 42.6 gr of H4350 140gr berger VLD .020 off