Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Long range hunting with open sights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long range hunting with open sights

Nate, I haven't hunted much with iron sights in years, but when I was younger, did hunt with a Garand and also a KAR 98 Mauser, both with battle sights. I estimate the longest shot was 125 yds. I found the combination of rear aperture and front post on the Garand to be better than the Mauser for me, but I had qualified on a Garand in the service, and had lots of faith in it. I shot NRA match rifle for years with a Redfield International rear and Al Freeland front. Both have apertures and worked very well on bullseye targets to 600 yds. I never shot them at 1000 yds, but many did. I had switched to Service Rifle and used an M1A for the last few years that I shot competitively and based on that, would marginally recommend the combination of aperture rear and post front for hunting game. Two apertures are easier to line up, but the visibility with a front post is better in poor conditions or low light. The old Navy "center mass" hold is better for hunting, but with practice, the "6 o'clock" hold is easier to acquire. You have to settle on one or the other and use it exclusively, because your POI will shift drastically if you get confused. Lastly, practice is much more important with iron than with a scope, and if you do it enough, 200 yds on game is a piece of cake, 300 yds will feel ok, but 400yds (for me) would get iffy.

As for a rifle, a match conditioned 30-06 Garand or .308 M1A would be an excellent choice. Both have great (and rugged) sights, are capable of sub MOA accuracy, and can easily outshoot most shooters in hunting conditions.

All that said, I have a custom .280 Rem with an old Lyman 48 long slide rear (moved to the left side), and a modern Lyman 93 front globe sight that uses Redfield Olympic front inserts. With 160gr Accubonds, it's better than I am at any range, and I have hunted with it, but not shot anything (but paper) yet. I love the look and feel of an iron sighted rifle. They seem cleaner to me than a scoped rifle, and they are stone reliable.

Sorry about getting so long-winded, but the subject struck an old nerve. Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time

Last edited by specweldtom; 05-27-2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: spelling---again
Old 05-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Silver Member

308 nate
i would go with the lyman peeps, i learnd to shoot with a set a top an old bolt winchest .22lr and we were able to shoot shot shells at 75yd with that it was a lot of fun
Old 05-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Nate,

Not an authority whatever on this subject.......but,

My Dad was a dedicated 22 50' competitor and spent his money on a 12X Unertl for the range master which left little money for sights for the 721 '06.

He stuck a redfield "peep" sight on it with the factory front sight.

The peep came off for deer hunting in PA's thick woods.

However, about half way through chuck season, after he had figured the range/clicks and hold for the different mounds in Tinker's hay field, I recall spending a lot of time making long range treks to retrieve the dead and wounded.

I goole earth'd the field measuring from the barn bridge to what I 'remember' as the closed and farthest mounds. Closest was 250 farthest about 350.

I was about 12 at the time but the field still looks the same.

Go for it.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smart bomb View Post
Nate,

Irons are cool to shoot with! Last year I put down a very non-typical bull elk @ 355 yards with an iron sighted schmidt rubin swiss rifle. This year, (only two weeks ago) the same rifle was used by my dad to bag a nice 6x6 bull @ a touch over 360 yds.

My dad and I practice often with this rifle and could very possibly use it up to 700 yards, provided a good shot opportunity.

What you really need to do is to find an original old war rifle in good condition and shoot it. Better yet use it along with a rangefinder and you'll be amazed just how far and effective you can shoot with the military irons.

I've come to the conclusion that our surplus military bolt rifles are far more capable than many of the men who have carried them in times past.

Irons will never compete with a scoped rifle at truly long ranges, but when the weather is foul and if you can get to within 400 yds. or under, never doubt the effectiveness of irons.
I have yet to put on a scope mount to my k-31, have you since 2009? What kind of ammo do you run in it for elk?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member

My cousin in Illinois, who is a very accomplished deer hunter don't own a scoped rifle and never has.

Me, I need a scope. My eyes suck.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

I would love to get my tubb gun out there to do that. Think anything out to 600 wouldn't be a problem