Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

long range hunting help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

long range hunting help

I'm trying to set my 14yo son up for a successful long range kill (500+yds) on a whitetail doe. We've geared up and practiced shooting paper for almost 2 years. He shoots sub-moa out to about 940 yards with a Sendero 7mm Rem Mag and 180gr Bergers. Our trajectory matches almost exactly what the NF Bal program says it should. And, the turrets on the Leupold 6.5-20x56 Varmint Extreme are accurate and repeatable. ...although the 1/10 MOA clicks are a pain. (I definitely see why Huskemaw is popular.)

We hunted this last week for the first time with the objective of taking a doe at 500+yds and I found it a little frustrating. There was very little wind which had been my biggest concern.

But, this was also the first time we used our Leica 1200 CRF in the field. It's way better than our old Nikon. But, I really had difficulty getting readings in an open field on individual deer at 550-750 yards. I was even using a very solid rest to do so.

It more or less reads 2-3 deer in a group at that distance. But, otherwise, I had to range nearby trees and shrubs. Unfortunately, that can be deceptive unless the deer is literally leaning on the tree. On several occassions and by the time I was confident in my readings, the deer wandered off. So, we never fired a shot.

Are my expectations for the 1200 crf out of line? Or, do I simply need to practice more and/or keep waiting for the deer to stay put another 5 minutes while I sort them out?

I would've bought the 1600 crf, but it seemed that the beam wouldn't be any better on the small targets.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance!
Richard
Old 11-30-2010, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

Re: long range hunting help

you rarely hear anyone talk about the split-imagine rangefinders any more and this is the scenario where they shine. of course the downsize is they weight 20+ lbs and are 3-5 ft long. people that hunt open flat ground use them, or at least used to use them. the lazors, like most everything else, just keeps getting better and nobody lugs a big ole rangefinder around any more.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

In reading other posts, it sounds like ranging a single deer on flat land at over 500 yards is a little iffy even for the 1200 crf.

So, we'll just have to remain patient until conditions are right.

He's shot plenty of deer at 50-258 yards with all kinds of rifles. But, I think it'll be a great sense of accomplishment for us both when he takes one out at long range using skill and technology rather than luck and wrecklessness.

When I was a young man, it was all about Kentucky windage. Once you got your Leupold M8 sighted in, you didn't mess with the turrets. My dad shot 2 deer at an estimated 500 yds. He was a great shot. But, that was a different kind of shooting.

Music, politics, and technology all change. But, hunting is something that binds generations from the dawn of time.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Gold Member

I was going to call "bunk" on your 1/10th min click statement...untill I did a little resurch. WOW!!!! That is a waste of clicks. I can't imagin 1/10 min clicks on my 1K comp scopes, much less a hunting scope.!!!

I would sell it and get a NF.....that is just me!!

It sounds to me like Jr. is ready!!!

GOOD ON YOU BOTH!!!

Last edited by 4xforfun; 11-30-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

The glass is great on this scope and the finer clicks are great if you have plenty of time to concentrate on all of that.

However more than once while practicing, I turned them an extra rotation by accident and was deflated to see that he missed the target only to discover that one rotation (6 minutes) at 535 yds is ~33 inches and then right there in the tree trunk was a 3 inch group about 30 inches directly above the bull.

The lesson I'm learning is that there are plenty of variables to worry with when hunting. So, you might as well eliminate the ones you can control.

I'd love to trade up to NF. But, my budget is wearing thin. I've wasted lots of money on gimmicks and useless gadgets (especially reloading tools). I should probably sell one of my rifles and upgrade this scope. But, I have a personal attachment to each one. So, that'll have to wait for now.

My advice to any newcomers would be to (1) commit to the quest early on, (2) research what it'll take, and (3) buy the right gear from the beginning.

My problem is that our initial goal was to hit a 4x8 sheet of plywood at 1k. From there, the goals of grown loftier and we've had to re-purchase a lot of gear. e.g. upgrading from Nikon to Lieca range finder and from Lyman T-Mag to Forster Co-ax...
Old 11-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post

My advice to any newcomers would be to (1) commit to the quest early on, (2) research what it'll take, and (3) buy the right gear from the beginning.

My problem is that our initial goal was to hit a 4x8 sheet of plywood at 1k. From there, the goals of grown loftier and we've had to re-purchase a lot of gear. e.g. upgrading from Nikon to Lieca range finder and from Lyman T-Mag to Forster Co-ax...
That goes for EVERYTHING!!! You want expensive...try rock crawling(you know ..jeeping).....

Yep...you start with a stock rig.....want traction....simple right...bigger tires.....but only one spins...simple right....Detroit locker......then you break an axle or two...simple right...just buy more...then you loose a locker and an axle...simple right....bigger axles and a new locker....then bam....broken axle joints.....pretty soon you have 1500 in lockers, 600 dollers in high end inner axles, 500 in high end outer axles, 575 in CTM U-Joints......ect...ect...ect....., not to mention the cost of all of those "cheap" stock axles...plus tax...plus frieght) and you still have a dana 44

Then...you cant keep the hubs in it....tranny, engin, drive shafts..............

And on. And on.....And on....

Just buy the friggen beefed up dana 60 the first time out and save big $$$$ and time and frustration...

Last edited by 4xforfun; 11-30-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Gold Member

put a new battery in the 1200, in decent conditions I can range a single deer to 900, in good conditions I've ranged them at 1210 with my 1200 LRF. doesn't do well in glaring sun in my face or at a right angle but for the most part to 750 is a chipshot with my LRF.
RR