Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: weight
Under 9lbs 108 14.59%
9-11lbs 283 38.24%
11-13lbs 197 26.62%
13-15lbs 100 13.51%
over 15lbs 52 7.03%
Voters: 740. This poll is closed

Long Range Hunting Gun Weight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Long Range Hunting Gun Weight

As far as my LR rigs are concerned, it looks like this:

6.5WSM w/34mm MK4 & Atlas= 15.8lbs <<will go up after I install the new USO.
338RUM w/34mm MK4 & Atlas= 16.7lbs <<16.something anyway
7RSAUM-not finished= Est'd ~ 14lbs

My "carry gun" in 7.82 Patriot is in the 12lb range. I would have to consider myself an ambush hunter, but I've put a few miles on the WSM this year after my Fuzzy Wuzzies.

With the info I had to work with, I voted 15+.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragman View Post
Lets say your figuring on a shot between 800-1200 max distance 1600.

caliber would be your choice. if you vote say 15&up because you shoot a big gun then say thats why

Well, there is a miles differenc between a 800 yard shot and a 1200 yard shot and 1600 is another level again.

So, I will think in terms of a 1200 yard shot and say this. I sure would not want a rifle under 12lbs if I wanted my success rate to be good. And for the 1600 yard shots I would want a 16 lb .338.

Jeff
Old 11-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Well, there is a miles differenc between a 800 yard shot and a 1200 yard shot and 1600 is another level again.

So, I will think in terms of a 1200 yard shot and say this. I sure would not want a rifle under 12lbs if I wanted my success rate to be good. And for the 1600 yard shots I would want a 16 lb .338.

Jeff
Jeff (and anyone else with an opinion),

I have been thinking about gun weight in relation to LR shooting quite a bit lately and would love your input on this. I am trying to balance cartridge size and overall weight to come up with an ideal LR deer and antelope gun for backpacking and carry. Not that it matter for this topic but it will most likely be a 6.5, probably the Swede.

I realize there are many reasons that weight helps with a LR shot. I am wondering though if the weight should be commensurate to the recoil of a gun? For instance, let's say you think 12lbs is needed for a 300 Win Mag for distances to 1200 yards. But does a 6XC or 6.5x55 need as much weight to be as accurate at 1200 yards assuming they are equally accurate guns to begin with? Again, I am not talking about bullet drift, subsonic entry, etc that would make a smaller caliber gun less accurate at range but am specifically looking at accuracy that would be derived from the weight of the gun itself. It seems like less weight would be required for less recoiling rifles but I seldom see mention of this by any smiths or shooters. Maybe this is because more weight is always better than less so guys get as much as they can. It has just been something sticking in my mind lately as I try to build a gun heavy enough but not an ounce heavier than I need.

Scot E.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

For me the magical weight for most calibers is between 12-14lbs and that is for anything from my .243- 300RUM. the only time I need to go heavier than that is if I am going over a big .30 in Cal. If I am going into my .338Lapua or larger I prefer 14-16lb guns. I have never been able to "control" or get the repeatability with guns that are lighter than that.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

Scott, in all the rifles in different calibers I have built, it has always been the heavier rifles that were the best tack drivers. Even though they all have very effective brakes. You should shoot my 14 lb 6 br with a brake. I get your drift but I feel weight will be of help for accuracy no matter what the recoil. So probably it would be good to look at it this way. What is the distance potential of the caliber with the intended weight of bullet you will use? Then, what would be the accuracy level for that rifle to do what you need it to at that distance, .5 moa, 1 moa? Then decide how thin of a barrel and light weight of a rifle you can get by with. I don't feel it is all in recoil, the human error is multiplied with a lighter rifle. From ability to hold on target, heart beat right down to the smoothness and brake of the trigger, weight is your friend.

Jeff
Old 11-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Scott, in all the rifles in different calibers I have built, it has always been the heavier rifles that were the best tack drivers. Even though they all have very effective brakes. You should shoot my 14 lb 6 br with a brake. I get your drift but I feel weight will be of help for accuracy no matter what the recoil. So probably it would be good to look at it this way. What is the distance potential of the caliber with the intended weight of bullet you will use? Then, what would be the accuracy level for that rifle to do what you need it to at that distance, .5 moa, 1 moa? Then decide how thin of a barrel and light weight of a rifle you can get by with. I don't feel it is all in recoil, the human error is multiplied with a lighter rifle. From ability to hold on target, heart beat right down to the smoothness and brake of the trigger, weight is your friend.

Jeff
A 14lb 6BR huh? Does it even move? I bet that is a tack driver. What bullet do you shoot?

I was just thinking back to LTLR's post this summer about the McMillan EOL Outdoorsman he worked with. I think that is a 8lb gun and he was getting some pretty impressive groups at and beyond 1k and that was with a 300RUM! No doubt they would be better with more weight and obviously he has some serious skill and experience as well. It is interesting though.

This particular gun will likely be a 1/2 mile and under gun and I would like it to hold .5 MOA but even .75-1MOA is doable at that distance. If it is in 6.5x55 I would think a 9.5-10lb gun fully loaded would be more than enough. Just wondering how much less I could get by with.

Thanks for your input.

Scot E.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

Well I believe I will only talk of what I know on this, and not what I have read. I feel your 9.5 lb rifle would be pretty good to 1000 for hunting and able to hold 1 moa if it was a quality build and fit you well. And even better at your 880 yrd limit. For this rifle I would shave the weight in the scope area, and leave all I could in the barrel.

My 6 br sends 107 SMK's

Jeff