Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: weight
Under 9lbs 108 14.59%
9-11lbs 283 38.24%
11-13lbs 197 26.62%
13-15lbs 100 13.51%
over 15lbs 52 7.03%
Voters: 740. This poll is closed

Long Range Hunting Gun Weight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long Range Hunting Gun Weight

take a look at the sinclair tactical bipod, I love mine and when shooting my guns 12lbs and up the way it pulls up against the swivel stud it makes great contact. it also preloads really well so that you can spot your shots and it in my experience hasn't shifted my POI vs my rest.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Gold Member

With a good bi-pod costing quite a bit of money it's hard to experiment .
The Sinclair looks good but the Sierra 7 bi-pod would suit my rail and it's pricy.
The gun is over engineered but accuracy needs rigidity. I tried a much lighter hand grip and mono-pod sytem and it was too weak and flexible . My first cheek support was much lighter and it was no good as it bent under the weight of my head . The whole thing has to be as rigid as possible and the weight climbs as the groups shrink . I'm glad I never went for the heavier barrels now .
These kind of projects can consume a lot of cash and you have to draw the line some place . Annodising or Cerakote is going to be the next issue.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Long Range Hunting Gun Weight-vortex.jpg  
Old 11-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

I have heard from military friends the Bopro is a really good bipod. I have a Atlas, I have mine on Seekin SRS rail and is very solid, I have the QD plate. The throw lever is adjustable for tension
Old 11-18-2013, 09:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
I have heard from military friends the Bopro is a really good bipod. I have a Atlas, I have mine on Seekin SRS rail and is very solid, I have the QD plate. The throw lever is adjustable for tension
On mine the lockup of the adaptor on the Picatinny rail is fine . It's the lock up between the bipod and the adaptor that needs work . I have it epoxied in place now and it should be better but have not had a chance to test it .
Also replaced the original front action screw with a tighter fitting custom made hex head . As I felt the original was too sloppy and could be allowing the front of the action to vibrate slightly with node action . Something that I can't prove or disprove but with no side support for the action it's possible .
Now I can apply 40 to 60 inch pounds with a socket torque wrench . See if it helps any.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:11 AM
Bronze Member

I'd say for under a 1000 a rifle under 12 pound and over a 1000 you're looking at 15+#.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
With a good bi-pod costing quite a bit of money it's hard to experiment .
The Sinclair looks good but the Sierra 7 bi-pod would suit my rail and it's pricy.
The gun is over engineered but accuracy needs rigidity. I tried a much lighter hand grip and mono-pod sytem and it was too weak and flexible . My first cheek support was much lighter and it was no good as it bent under the weight of my head . The whole thing has to be as rigid as possible and the weight climbs as the groups shrink . I'm glad I never went for the heavier barrels now .
These kind of projects can consume a lot of cash and you have to draw the line some place . Annodising or Cerakote is going to be the next issue.
Really nice Unit, post pics as you move along.

the heaver the better, if you can carry it in.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Silver Member

I have a Sinclair and many Harris of all sizes. The Sinclair is sloppy and loose, it looks good, bud needs work. I have had no problems with Harris in 30+ years. I have a 16 Lb 338 Allen Mag XHS, and several other semi customs from 11 to 13 lbs. None shoot like the Allen. The weight really helps.